Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Gaming Law
As gaming continues to expand throughout the world, we see an increased need for talented and knowledgeable gaming lawyers. With our location in an international gaming destination, you will gain access to globally renowned gaming professionals and regulators, observe and learn from cutting-edge debates and decision making, and make lasting professional connections that will serve you well at the beginning of and throughout your law career.
For accreditation information, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Legal Knowledge
- Knowledge of specific areas or aspects of substantive law, legal theory, or legal procedure.
- Example: Application of domestic, comparative, international, legislative, regulatory, statutory, or transnational laws to the gaming industry.
- Analysis and Decision Making
- Understand and develop solutions to legal problems.
- Example: Analyzing, being creative or innovative, exercising practical judgment, problem solving, and reasoning.
- Policy Evaluation
- Draw connections between specific legal issues and policy contexts or values.
- Example: Employ tools or strategies that encourage the effective and ethical practice of law in the context of casinos and gaming organizations, gaming technology manufacturers, regulatory boards and agencies, governmental relations, and private practice.
- Professional Identity
- Responsibilities of lawyers to their profession and society.
- Example: Demonstrating awareness of professional commitments to continued learning, community involvement and service, diligence, engagement, ethics, honesty, integrity, and dedication.
- Written professional communication for a variety of professional purposes.
- Example: Creating written texts for different audiences and purposes, advocating, negotiating, analyzing, memorializing transactions, or disseminating knowledge.
- Oral Communication
- Using oral communication for a variety of professional purposes.
- Example: Advising, advocating, counseling clients, influencing, listening, presenting information, speaking for professional purposes.
- Information Gathering and Obtaining
- Obtaining and assessing information about facts, law, procedure, and people.
- Example: Fact finding, interviewing, researching, and sorting known information to identify what is important for particular purposes.
- Interpersonal Perspectives
- Emotionally intelligent engagement, team building, collaboration, cooperation, negotiation, client interaction, and leadership.
- Example: Seeing the world through the eyes of others, resolving conflicts, empathizing, evaluating, mentoring, organizing, and managing others.
- Client and Practice Management
- Skills required to ethically and effectively manage ethical, professional, and business aspects of the legal profession.
- Example: Building relationships with clients, members of the legal community and gaming industry, and others, handling stress, identifying client or community needs, organizing one's own work, using technology and electronic media.
Possible Careers for the LL.M. in Gaming Law:
- Compliance officer
- In-house counsel at a casino or gaming group
- Corporate attorney for a gaming technology company
- Attorney general for a state division of gaming enforcement
- Law firm associate or partner
- Solo practitioner