Students who major in Social Science Studies will understand how various social science disciplines structure and advance knowledge, raise and answer analytical questions, and deal with competing theories within specific fields. Emphasis is placed on developing critical awareness of the different methodologies applied to questions about society, social interaction, and human subjectivity. Students work closely with their advisers to plan a program that satisfies the required competencies in a chosen area of focus and in the social science disciplines. Students participate in a capstone during their final semester, demonstrating the incorporation of their chosen disciplines into a project, presentation, and paper. This program is available fully online as well as face-to-face.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Identify the knowledge and critical procedures of the social sciences.
- Describe and apply the research methods of a social science.
- Write analytically and lucidly.
- Synthesize the findings and protocols of at least two disciplines into a developed plan of research and analysis.
- Apply a synthesized plan of research to a single problem or set of related problems concerning contemporary society.
- Communicate, in oral and written form, the principal findings of a synthesized plan of research.
Bachelor of Arts in Social Science Studies
Plans of Study