The Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media is a media unit within the Greenspun College of Urban Affairs. The School is committed to the proposition that enhancing society requires an innovative, interdisciplinary, and rigorous understanding of communication media.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Prepare students to become thoughtful scholars and researchers and effective professionals in broadcast and print journalism, integrated marketing communication, public relations, and media studies.
- Achieve written and visual communication competencies.
- Attain theoretical and practical knowledge toward critical thinking and social responsibility as a citizen and professional.
- Learn how to disseminate messages via media platforms.
- Be innovative with regards to new technologies in a constantly changing media environment.
The Hank Greenspun School of Journalism and Media Studies prepares students to become effective professionals in broadcast journalism, integrated marketing communication, (advertising and public relations) and print journalism. Faculty engage students in a supportive environment of scholarship and service, stressing theoretical and practical knowledge, critical thinking and social responsibility.
Greenspun Hall is one of the most innovative journalism buildings in the country, emphasizing a converged media curricula for the dissemination of messages via a multitude of platforms. The new facility enables journalism and media studies faculty and students to explore the limits of new technologies and to develop innovative partnerships between traditional and emerging media. The alldigital, high-definition broadcast facility includes television studios, non-linear editing bays, radio production and performance studios, writing labs, advanced editing labs, a converged media lab and a 200-seat auditorium built to accommodate video and audio production. Greenspun Hall also houses UNLV TV, our campus cable station and KUNV, our campus FM radio station.
The following job titles are related to the field of journalism and media studies. Some may require study beyond the undergraduate level. This is not a complete list of possible careers for journalism and media studies graduates but simply provides some suggestions of potential career options.
Career Options for Journalism and Media Studies Majors
- Advertising Coordinator
- Media Operators
- News Analysts
- Public Relations Specialist
Bachelor of Arts - Journalism and Media Studies
Plans of Study