Graduate Certificate: Emergency Crisis Management in Cybersecurity
The Cybersecurity Certificate is designed to address the growing challenges of cybersecurity within private and public organizations, the significant increase in cybersecurity professionals needed by 2020. Students will learn the foundations of cybersecurity, risk assessments, threat response techniques, and implementation. The four required courses and one on site lab, prepare students for cybersecurity situational awareness and readiness to respond to a variety of cyber-attacks encountered in data driven workplaces. The knowledge and skills gained in this program are intended to be applied to interdisciplinary business practices with high regulatory frameworks. Courses are taken online, in addition to a one-week faculty, student, and industry cohort session in Las Vegas during the summer Black Hat or Def Con conferences.
The yearlong program will require students to take two courses a semester and one lab in July. The lab is a student, faculty and industry cohort.
- Graduate Certificate Emergency Management Cybersecurity Program outcomes Support the principles of digital intellectual property, online privacy, software copyright and cyber law.
- Interpret the issues of jurisdiction and the sovereignty of the internet by considering how technology affects the power of regulatory tools.
- Critique the fundamentals of cyber security for large enterprises.
- Evaluate cyber threats, OS structure, and attacks.
- Assess the methodology and tools to counter cyber-attacks.
- Evaluate the principles behind effective approaches for prevention, planning, risk, mitigation, response, and recovery strategies.
- Interpret the major elements of technical and operational disasters by learning to implement emergency strategies that reduce vulnerabilities.
- Analyze the appropriate ways to convey technical operations through verbal and written communication to support organizational operations.
- Implement and understand control framework, policy and emergency crisis through theoretical analysis.
UNLV is unable to provide fully online education to students from certain states. Visit the State Compliance page for more information.