- Technology and Innovation Management / Strategic Management / Supply Chain Management
SPECIFIC RESEARCH QUESTIONS
My current research interests seek to understand when, where, and how firms adapt to innovation shocks. When an innovator hits the market with a disruptive innovation shock, incumbents (followers) are faced with (at least) three key decisions - “when (earlier vs. later adoption timing)”, “where (high vs. low segment choices)”, and “how (make vs. in-house design vs. pure buy sourcing choices)” to adopt the new innovation. My current study explores five research questions:
- Why do some incumbents adopt a new innovation earlier than others?
- Why do early (or late) adopters choose one sourcing approach over others?
- Why do some early adopters switch from one sourcing approach in the early innovation period to other approaches in the later innovation period?
- Why do early (or late) adopters show different segment choices?
- Are incumbents’ decisions regarding innovation adoption timing, sourcing approach, and the retention of outsourced components mistaken or strategic in nature?
- Park, W.Y., C. Tanpong, Y. K. Ro, and N.W. Kim (Accepted), “The Design Sourcing Choice and Technological Performance in the Upscale and Downscale Markets of an Architectural Innovation”, Journal of Operations Management (UTD 24 / FT 50)
- Park, W.Y. & C. Tanpong (2021) “Performance and Survival Implications of Sourcing Choice Sequence Across an Architectural Innovation Life Cycle” 67, 6: 656-679, Journal of Operations Management (UTD24 / FT50)
- Bigelow, L., J. Nickerson, & W.-Y. Park (Equal Contribution) (2019) "When and How to Shift Gears: Dynamic Trade-offs Between Among Adjustment Costs, Opportunity, and Transaction Costs in Response to an Innovation Shock." 40, 3: 377-407, Strategic Management Journal (UTD24 / FT50)
- Park, W.-Y., Y. K. Ro, and N.W. Kim (2018), “The Impact of Variant Sourcing Strategies over Time in the Face of a New Architectural Innovation”, 47, 1: 326-241, Research Policy (FT50)
- Park, W.-Y., Y. K. Ro, and J.H. Lee (2018) “ How Much Does Design Internalization Matter in the Face of Technological Change?”, IEEE Transactions- Engineering Management, 65, 2: 264 – 275
- Park, W.-Y. (J.-K.) and Y. K. Ro (2013), “ Product Architectures and Sourcing Decisions: Their Impacts on Performance” 39, 3: 814-846, Journal of Management (FT50)
- Park, W.-Y.(J.-K.) and Y. K. Ro (2011), "The Impact of a Firm’s Make, Pseudo-Make, Buy Strategy on Product Performance." 29, 5: 289-304, Journal of Operations Management (UTD24 / FT50)
- Fixson, S. K. and Park, W.-Y.(J.-K.) (Equal Contribution) (2008) “The Power of Integrality: Linkages between Product Architecture, Innovation, and Industry Structure”, 37, 8: 1296-1316, Research Policy (FT50)
- Fixson, S. K. and Park, W.-Y.(J.-K.) (Equal Contribution) (2006) “A Test of Schilling’s Interfirm Product Modularity Model”. Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta, August 11-16, (selected for Technology & Innovation Management (TIM) Division Best Paper Proceedings)
- Khurshid, F. (my Ph.D student), Park, W.-Y., & Chan, F. (The first two authors - equal contribution) (2020) “The Impact of Competiton on Vertical Integration: The Role of Technological Niche Width” 29 (3): 789 – 800, Business Strategy and the Environment
- Khurshid, F. (my Ph.D student), Park, W.-Y., & Chan, F. (The first two authors - equal contribution) (2019) “Innovation Shock, Outsourcing Strategy and Environmental Performance: The Roles of Prior Green Innovation Experience and Knowledge Inheritance”, 28 (8): 1572 – 1582, Business Strategy and the Environment
BEST PAPER AWARDS
- 2020 SMS (Strategic Management Society) Annual Conference : Research Methods Paper Prize Competition
- The Honorable Mention for the Prize
- 5 papers were selected as finalists out of 34 nominated papers for this award.
- Proposal titled “Stuck in the Middle: Strategic Repositioning and Survival in Response to an Innovation Shock”
- 2011 Strategic Management Korean Business Administration Annual Meetings, Kangwondo, Korea, (August 2011)
- 2006 Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta, (August 2006)
- Editorial Board:
- Ad-hoc Reviewer:
- Journal of Operations Management
- Organization Science
- Research Policy
- Journal of Knowledge Management
MAJOR TEACHING AREA
- Strategic Management of Technology and Innovation