Upon completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Understand theoretical foundations behind teaching and learning.
- Recognize the central concepts of the respective teaching field including disciplines, purposes, themes, and standards.
- Describe characteristics of an effective learning environment attending to intellectual, social, and personal development and supportive of individual and group engagement in the learning processes.
- Design and facilitate meaningful units and lessons that are developmentally appropriate technologies.
- Develop standards-based curricular objectives, modes of teaching, and authentic assessments.
- Integrate a variety of authentic tools of inquiry, critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making performance skills that empower young learners to take responsibility for their own learning.
- Value cultural diversity and ensure cultural competency.
- Ensure an in-depth understanding and appreciation of democratic principles and social justice applicable both inside and outside of schools and classrooms.
- Secondary teacher (grades 7-12)