The Department of Educational and Clinical Studies offers a B.S. in Special Education for those students interesting in specialized services in schools and community agencies. Undergraduates participate in coursework and clinical experiences that contain a solid theoretical and practical knowledge base in the areas of research design and implementation, teaching, and the provision of mandated services at the community, state, and national level.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Articulate personal philosophy of special education, including the continuum of placement and services available for individuals with disabilities.
- Describe the impact of learners’ diverse abilities, interests, and culture on learning and instruction.
- Describe and use research-based instructional methods to insure students’ success in all environments.
Describe and make modifications for the demands of learning and social environments encountered by students with special needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and construct lesson plans based on the general education curricula, including modifications and adaptations for individuals with exceptional learning needs.
- Interpret and use information from formal and informal assessments to plan instruction and monitor student progress.
- Practice within the CEC Code of Ethics and uphold high standards of professional competence and integrity.
Possible career options after receiving this degree:
- Licensed teacher
- Private consultant
- Education specialist
- Non-profit organization director or employee
- State education department director or employee
Department of Early Childhood, Multilingual, and Special Education
The Department of Early Childhood, Multilingual, and Special Education (EMS) is designed and dedicated to prepare professionals for specialized services in schools, community agencies, and higher education settings. We promote and embrace the concept of cultural diversity and we affirm our commitment to the ethical standards of our respective disciplines.
College of Education
The College of Education creates an intellectual environment that promotes quality instruction, significant research, and professional service. With four unique departments, graduates receive the necessary tools and experiences to make an impact on local, national, and global scales.