Bachelor of Arts in Art History
Art history is a field of study within the Humanities, which examines the visual and material culture of peoples in a wide range of contexts throughout human history. Students of Art History at UNLV are introduced to both western and non-western art in an open curriculum that encourages further study outside the discipline. Art history majors must complete a trio of survey courses, presenting an overview of primarily European, North American, and non-?Western art from the prehistoric period to the present. This foundation knowledge is then expanded with elective Art History courses in areas of the students’ choice and in which they practice critical reading, writing, and analytical skills. Art History majors are also required to take four successive courses of foreign language study.
- Identify major works of art from the time periods and cultures represented in courses taken this semester.
- Articulate the formal elements (e.g. line, color, composition, perspective, etc.) of works of art.
- Identify differences and similarities between works of art from the same or different historical moments.
- Apply theoretical concepts to works of art.
- Learn more about an historical period through studying works of art and artists from that period.
- Knowledgeably discuss art historical styles and movements.
- Articulate and respond to unfamiliar works of art based on skills developed studying known works.
- Be prepared to undertake postgraduate academic study, museum internships, or other job opportunities in the visual arts.
An Art History degree is an especially good preparation for students interested in further study at the Masters or Doctoral level in the Humanities. Graduates from the BA program in Art History go on to many different pursuits, including graduate study, teaching, administration, community service, and curatorial work. Employers are typically commercial art galleries or auction houses, antique galleries, museums, book and magazine publishers, local private and public arts agencies, and organizations needing grant writers.