Doctor of Philosophy in Creative Writing with Creative Dissertation
The English Department in conjunction with the International Institute of Modern Letters offers a program leading to the degree Doctor of Philosophy with a Creative Dissertation. This program centers on the study of English and American Literature and is designed to train students for careers in the teach of English at the college or university level, as well as for careers in writing, editing, and publishing. The program of study includes course work in English and Creative Writing, a Qualifying Examination, and a Creative Dissertation, typically a collection or original poems or short stories or a novel.
- Students will produce publishable works of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction.
- Students will develope knowledge and skills that prepare them fo the workforce and for advancement in academia.
Creative Writing Ph.D.s can go on to careers in:
- Writing/Publishing/Editing: The UNLV Ph.D. Creative Writing program offers opportunities to work on two literary magazines, Witness and Interim. A person with writing skills and experience may pursue a career in magazine editing, work at a publishing house, or copyediting and copywriting.
- Teaching: For a person with a Ph.D. in Creative Writing positions are available in high schools, community colleges, and college and universities.
- Public relations, media, communications and advertising: PR and advertising agencies need candidates with strong writing and communication skills.
- Business, management, and beyond: In the broadest sense possible, Creative Writing Ph.D. graduates can do anything. In survey after survey, employers rank writing and communication skills as the most important credential. Graduates can go on to careers in finance, management, human resources, politics, sales, marketing, civil service, non-profit agencies, institutional analysis — the possibilities are endless.