The Lincy Institute believes education is one of the most important investments a community can make. Not only does it provide our children and youth with access to knowledge, skills, and opportunity; education serves as a key driver for Southern Nevada’s economy and quality of life.
Our primary aim is to leverage Southern Nevada’s education assets and resources in ways that support high quality educational opportunities from cradle-to-college and career. This includes bridging education research to policy and practice in the following areas:
- Early childhood education;
- Parent and family engagement;
- Community-based education reform;
- Targeted K-12 investments; and
- College readiness and completion
By working in direct collaboration with non-profit and research organizations, community-based coalitions, student and parent groups, college and university faculty, and Clark County School District officials and staff, The Lincy Institute seeks to improve Southern Nevada’s educational opportunities, access, outcomes and federal resources.
The purpose of the Community Colleges Section is to provide information and resources on community colleges in four critical areas: (1) Governance; (2) Funding; (3) Academic and Student Success; and (4) Workforce and Economic Outcomes.
Las Vegas Promise Neighborhood Initiative
The Las Vegas Promise Neighborhood (LVPN) Initiative is a community-led effort to provide a cradle-to-college and career continuum of solutions that ensures every child residing and attending school within the Las Vegas Promise Neighborhood (historic West Las Vegas) is ready for school and ready for life.
In anticipation of the possible release of a Promise Neighborhoods federal grant competition this summer, The Lincy Institute releases its technical report, The Las Vegas Promise Neighborhood Initiative: A Community-Based Approach to Improving Educational Opportunity & Achievement. The report offers a brief overview of Promise Neighborhoods, the original LVPN planning grant application, discussion of the collaborative activity that LVPN partners have engaged in since its original submission, and the "promise" of such neighborhood-based education reform efforts in Southern Nevada.
Coalesce Clark County
Coalesce Clark County is an emergent community-based coalition of education organizers, advocates, and activists dedicated to improving education in Southern Nevada by supporting public schools and institutions. Coalesce Clark County believes public schools, colleges, and universities are community institutions and seeks to advance educational equity and social justice in education for Southern Nevada’s diversifying student populations.
Research Study — English Language Learners in Clark County, Nevada: An Analysis of Enrollment, Educational Opportunities, and Outcomes
This research study is a three-way partnership among The Lincy Institute, Clark County School District (CCSD), and Annenberg Institute for School Reform (AISR) at Brown University. The purpose of this study is to provide the public with an easy-to understand review of the status of K–12 public education in CCSD, with a focus on English language learners (ELL). Since CCSD represents 71 percent of Nevada’s students, 82 percent of its ELL students, and has the second largest percentage of ELL students in the country, a comprehensive review of the district’s enrollment and outcomes for ELL students will support CCSD in its objective to increase both ELL achievement and student achievement overall.
- Nevada's English Language Learner Population: A Review of Enrollment, Outcomes, and Opportunities
- Clark County School District's English Language Learners - An Analysis of Enrollment, Educational Opportunities, and Outcomes in Nevada and CCSD
- On Thursday, December 5th, Carrie Sampson, GA at The Lincy Institute, presented to members of the Leadership Excellence Academy and the Adult Basic Education Director, Nevada Department of Education.
General Information Resources
- American Graduate
- Annenberg Institute for School Reform
- Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Clark County School District
- Complete College America
- Communities in Schools Nevada
- Harvard Family Research Project (HFRP)
- Institute of Education Sciences (IES)
- KIDS COUNT Data Center
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Center for Education Statistics
- National Head Start Association (NHSA)
- National Education Association (NEA)
- National Parent Teacher Association
- Nevada Department of Education
- Nevada System of Higher Education
- Promise Neighborhoods
- Promise Neighborhoods Institute at PolicyLink
- Southern Nevada Association for the Education of Young Children
- UNLV Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach
- U.S. Department of Education
Putting community back into community colleges. (Forthcoming)
Learn more about Dr. Magdalena Martinez's research and professional accomplishments.
- Beyond Small Change: Reforming Nevada’s Approach to Education Reform
- The Las Vegas Promise Neighborhood Initiative: A Community-Based Approach to Improving Educational Opportunity & Achievement
Dr. Sonya Horsford highlights recent activities in the education sector.