The UNLV School of Dental Medicine is committed to the scholarship of biomedical discovery, including student and faculty in research participation as part of the UNLV experience. The Office of Research, under the Associate Dean of Research, coordinates the administration of research and facilitates the inclusion of students as well as faculty in the research endeavor. The work of the Research Committee is supported by the Office of Research.
As of 2014, UNLV SDM has received $13.7 Million in research funding. The following are some of the studies and projects which have been completed or are in progress:
- Dr. Christina Demopoulos - Oral Health America approximately $300,000 (2010-2014)
- Dr. Christina Demopoulos - Crackdown on Cancer, $6.3 Million (2001-2010)
- Dr. Christina Demopoulos - ADEA Project Pool, $5,000 (2014)
- Dr. Georgia Dounis - HRSA Geriatric Education Center, $4.3 Million (2010-2015)
- Dr. Georgia Dounis - HRSA Geriatric Interdisciplinary Faculty Training, $310,000 (2010-2012)
- Dr. Katherine Howard - NIH/NIDCR; Regulation of Platelet-activating Factor Acetylhydrolase during Inflammation, $360,000 (2011-2015)
- Dr. Karl Kingsley - UNLV Office of Research Services, $26,000 (2004-2006, 2009)
- Dr. Karl Kingsley - NIH Soy Health Research, $10,000 (2014)
- Dr. Millie McClain - HRSA Pediatric Dental Program, $1.5 Million (2007-2010)
- Dr. Connie Mobley - NIH NIDDK, $312,000 (2004-2010)
- Dr. Connie Mobley - HRSA Dental Faculty Loan Repayment Plan, $1.7 Million (2010-2015)
- Dr. Michael Neubauer - Mountain West CTR-IN Idea Pilot Grant, $16,800 (2013-2014)
- Dr. Robin Reinke - Dental Trade Alliance, $15,000 (2013-2014)
- Dr. Foeng Tham - Periogen Oral Rinse Study, $43,806 (2013-2014)
- Dr. Wendy Woodall - Mountain West CTR-IN Idea Pilot Grant, $54,990 (2013-2014)
- Nutrition and Oral Medicine by Riva Touger-Decker and Connie Mobley.
- Karl Kingsley, Christine Bergman, Mark Keiserman, Connie Mobley. Oral cancer risk and vitamin D status, intake and supplementation: A review. Open Access Cancer. 2013.
- Karl Kingsley, Krystle Kendall, Matthew R. Repp, and Toni Jilka. Biomarker screening of oral cancer cell lines revealed sub-populations of CD133, CD44, p27- and Nestin- positive cancer stem cells is scheduled for publication May 2013 in the Journal of Cancer Research & Therapy.
- McClain MA, Jones F, McClain C, Curd F. Developing the UNLV Pre Dental Club Using Embedded Cognition and Other Curricular Strategies. J Dent Educ. May 2013.
- Touger-Decker R, Mobley C. Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Oral Health and Nutrition. J of the Acad of Nut and Dietetics 2013; 113(5):693-701.
- Mobley CC, Dounis G. Dietary guidance for people wearing removable prostheses. JADA 2013; 144(2):e11-e15.
- S. L. Volpe; W. J. Hall; A. Steckler; M. Schneider; D. Thompson; C. Mobley; T. Pham; L. El ghormli. Process evaluation results from the HEALTHY nutrition intervention to modify the total school food environment Health Education Research 2013; doi: 10.1093/her/cyt096.
- Ditmyer MM, Demopoulos CA, Mobley C. An in-depth look at the association between tobacco and marijuana use and dental caries. Dimensions of Dental Hygiene. 2013; 11:40-44.
- Alleman M, Low E, Truong K, Huang E, Hill CK, Chem TY, Deaton M, Kingsley K. Dental pulp-stem cells (DPSC) differentiation in vitro into odontoblast and neural progenitors during cell passaging is associated with alterations in cell survival and viability. In J Med Biomed Res 2013, 2(2): 133 - 141.
Dr. Connie Mobley
Associate Dean for SDM Office of Research
Dr. Karl Kingsley
Director of Student Research
Research and Grant Coordinator
Advanced Education Program in Pediatric Dentistry
Dr. Cody Hughes
Advanced Education Program in Orthodontics
Dr. James Mah