Reflection. Involvement. Scholarship. Engagement.
Each fall semester, the UNLV Academic Advising community hosts the Rebels R.I.S.E. Event. The 2016 R.I.S.E. week will take place from Monday, October 24, 2016, and Tuesday, October 25, 2016.
Rebels R.I.S.E. encourages UNLV students to rise above obstacles and uncertainty and reflect personally, increase their involvement on campus, seek scholarly activities and expand their engagement within the community.
One main focus of Rebels R.I.S.E. is to promote meaningful learning experiences for students during their sophomore year.
Here is a recap of last year's Rebels R.I.S.E. main event:
Michael Bowers International Studies Award
This award is named in honor of Michael Bowers, professor of political science and former Executive Vice-President and Provost, and lead supporter of the establishment of academic advising centers at UNLV. Rebels R.I.S.E. will be awarding multiple awards, giving students an opportunity to STUDY ABROAD! The 2016 International Study Award application is now available. For more information about the award, download the application.
*Applicants must be full-time students with a 2.75+ GPA. Applicants are required to attend at least one Rebels R.I.S.E. event.
Rebels R.I.S.E. Week 2016 Schedule
Monday, October 24, 2016, 2 – 5 PM – Main Event The Rebels R.I.S.E. main event will take place in the Student Union Ballroom. The event will feature the following:
- Keynote Speaker Lori Harrigan-Mack, UNLV class of 1993, 3-time Olympic gold medalist - is a former collegiate All-American, right-handed hitting, left-handed softball pitcher. She was a three-time Olympic Champion as a member of the Team USA winning in 1996, 2000 and 2004. She played collegiately from 1989–1992 at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas where she owns numerous records; she is the Big West career leader in shutouts and innings pitched. Her jersey number was retired in 1998, and she was inducted into the UNLV Athletics Hall of Fame in 2002. Harrigan-Mack is currently the Director of Security for the Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas.
- UNLV Alumni Panel
UNLV alumni will answer career related questions submitted by UNLV students. This panel will include Carlos Castro, SVP and CFO, Aria Resorts and Casinos; Brooke Allen – Burnstein, PhD, Program Coordinator, Project 150; and Megan Krier-McCoy, science teacher, Clark County School District
- Service Project
Please join us as we create care packages for the high school students served by Project 150. We will be accepting donations of unused toiletries, hygiene products, and school supplies, as well as gently used clothing and shoes. Events are hosted by UNLV Academic Advising in partnership with The Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.
- Sophomore Pinning Ceremony
Sophomores will be recognized for making it to their second year, and they will be encouraged to continue persisting at UNLV.
- Resource Fair
Various offices will have tables at the Resource Fair to answer questions students may have, and encourage students to get involved.
- Free Food Provided by Raising Canes!
- T-shirt giveaways and the chance to win one of four $250 bookstore vouchers!
Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - Rebels R.I.S.E. Workshops
- 1 – 2 PM, SU 218 International Study Programs at UNLV, Ryan Larsen, Associate Director of the Office of International Programs
- 2 – 3 PM, SU 219 Undergraduate Research at UNLV, Liam Frink, PhD, Director, and Sharon Young, Program Manager, Office of Undergraduate Research
International Study Destinations of Prior Winners