The Department of Music has a variety of scholarships and service awards available if you are an undergraduate. Awards are merit-based, with decisions beginning in mid-March. The awards will be given only if you have been accepted to the university; however, you can still audition before university acceptance. Award letters are sent by mail and need to be returned, indicating acceptance of an award.
To be considered for an award, you are required to audition. Auditions are usually held early in the spring semester; however, we can accommodate special requests. To schedule an audition, call 702-895-3332.
Maintaining Your Aid
Once a music major is awarded financial aid, the aid will continue for eight semesters as long as you:
- You must be a declared Music Major and a member of the required ensemble(s) appropriate to your area of study.
- You must successfully completed twelve (12) credits per semester.
- You must maintain a University GPA of 2.75, with a 3.0 GPA in all music courses.
- Each semester of full-time enrollment, you must maintain a grade of ‘B’ in every required ensemble and in Applied Music.
- You must make satisfactory progress toward your degree. The Department of Music defines satisfactory progress as concurrent registration in harmony, sight singing and ear training, and functional piano, each semester of full-time enrollment, until these course sequences are successfully completed.
For additional aid outside of the music department, visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships site.
Available Undergraduate Awards
- Grant-in-Aid Award: For all students participating in ensembles. 2.5 GPA required.
- Choral Studies Scholarships
- DeVos Scholarship: For all students. 3.0 GPA required.
- Marching Band Award: For all students participating in marching band. 2.5 GPA required.
- Music Scholarship: For string students participating in orchestra. 2.5 GPA required.
- Abe Nole Scholarship: For trombone students who are taking applied trombone lessons. 3.0 GPA required.
- Academic Performance in Horn Scholarship: Competitive award for returning horn students. 3.0 GPA required.
- Liberace Scholarship: Eight scholarships for students chosen to perform in a string quartet or jazz combo. 3.0 GPA required.
- Lou Weiner: For students participating in the band program. 2.75 GPA required.
- Martha Peterson: For voice students participating in the opera program. 2.75 GPA required.
- Morelli Scholarship: Competitive for students participating in a wind quintet. 3.0 GPA required.
- William Patterson Scholarship: For voice students. 2.75 GPA required.
- Jake Garehime Scholarship: For jazz students. 2.75 GPA required.
- Joe Williams Scholarship: For jazz students. 2.75 GPA required.
- String Scholarships
- Jazz Studies Scholarships