The college is pleased to have the ability, based upon donor funding, to award annual scholarships to undergraduate, graduate and professional students pursuing a degree within the College of Engineering. All engineering students are encouraged to complete the application to be considered for all applicable scholarships.
Please note: There are multiple scholarships awarded to students, but students do not apply for each scholarship individually; but rather complete the general College of Engineering Scholarship Application for consideration. The scholarships being awarded may vary from year to year based upon continued funding. Scholarships do not automatically renew. ALL STUDENTS MUST REAPPLY ANNUALLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY.
Scholarships are awarded based upon factors as established by the private donor and UNLV. These factors for scholarship awarding can include: GPA within a discipline, financial need, ethnicity, major, class rank, and gender. Additional scholarship opportunities can be found by visiting the main page for UNLV Financial Aid and Scholarships. In addition, other outside scholarship opportunities are posted throughout the year on the main college website and via our social media outlets on Facebook and Twitter.
Scholarship Application & Instructions
To apply you must complete the following items:
- Complete the scholarship application found linked to the bottom of the webpage.
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a current instructor, supervisor, community leader/mentor or other related individual who can comment on your interest in your discipline and your future plans. You must attach upload the letter of recommendation with your application.
- While it is NOT mandatory, it is recommended you complete a FAFSA form for the upcoming school year to be eligible and considered for needs-based scholarships. FAFSA data is provided to the College of Engineering by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to be used in determining awarding for need-based scholarships only. The priority date for filing the FAFSA for UNLV and the College of Engineering is February 1st.
Each student must complete the college scholarship application by March 15, 2015 to be eligible for priority first-round awarding. Applications will continue to be accepted after March 15, 2015, but are not guaranteed to be considered for awarding if all funding is disbursed during the initial round of awarding. This application will remain on record until the end of the spring 2016 semester.
Next Steps & Scholarship Acceptance
The college scholarship committees begin the award process for the next academic year each March and first-round awarding is determined by May 1, 2015. Jennifer Kennedy, the scholarship administrator will notify scholarship winners via mail by May 30, 2015. Scholarship recipients receive an award letter and packet from the Dean and Associate Dean indicating the following:
- Scholarship name and award amount.
- Requirements for maintain the scholarship for the upcoming academic year.
- Scholarship criterion that students must verify they meet to be eligible for scholarship disbursement in August.
- A scholarship acceptance form that recipients must sign and return by the date indicated in the award letter to formally accept or decline their award.
- Scholarship questionnaire that must be returned with the scholarship acceptance form.
- A thank-you card to be sent to the donor of the scholarship, which also must be submitted with the acceptance form and the questionnaire.
All items required to accept a scholarship to be returned to the College of Engineering must be returned to Jennifer Kennedy, Scholarship Coordinator in the College of Engineering Advising Center — TBE-A 207.
Once all information is received, the monetary award is applied to your account by August 30.
For engineering scholarship information and questions, contact:
Director, College of Engineering Academic Advising Center
- Simpson Strong Tie 2015 Scholarship Application
- DBIA Scholarship Application
- ASPE Scholarship Application
- Multicultural Program Scholarship Application
- APWA Scholarship Application
- Aerospace States Association Scholarship
- EngineeringDegree.com Scholarship Resources
- Scholarships for New Americans and Minorities
The Howard R. Hughes College of Engineering is not affiliated with any non-University of Nevada, Las Vegas scholarships. The College of Engineering does not explicitly recommend or endorse any scholarships being offered by private organizations and/or corporations, nor is the College of Engineering liable or responsible for any information that scholarship applicants choose to give to private organizations and/or corporations related to scholarship applications. Students and applicants are solely responsible for verifying the veracity of the organizations and/or corporations to which they provide information for each scholarship application. The College of Engineering does not endorse any of the views expressed or implied by private organizations and/or corporations that are awarding scholarships.