Master of Science in Health Physics
The mission of the Master of Science in Health Physics Program is to provide a high-quality graduate education experience for students in the areas of environmental health physics and medical physics.
The educational experience is accomplished through rigorous classroom instruction aided by computer and multi-media instruction, practical laboratory experiences, student research, and mentoring. The products of this experience are professionals capable of critical thinking and problem solving, devoted to a lifetime of learning, committed to the ethical standards of their profession, and highly sought after by employers.
- Graduates will demonstrate competency in applying the theoretical and problem solving aspects of health physics and related disciplines.
- Graduates will demonstrate competency in the practical applications of health physics.
- Graduates will effectively communicate technical information in both oral and written form.
- Graduates will be competent in research methods and be able to critically review research with the intent of applying findings to their practice.
- Graduates will be prepared to pursue a lifetime of self-directed learning and professional development.
- Graduates will conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner.
Health physicists work in a variety of disciplines, including:
- environmental protection
- enforcement of government regulations
Although the health physicist usually concentrates in one of these disciplines, a professional health physicist typically performs duties in several areas.