Penny S. Amy’s research interests are in Microbial Ecology and Applied Microbiology. She is interested in microorganisms in their natural environments. In the past she has worked with organisms in freshwater, marine and deep subsurface environments. She currently works with bacteriophages of a bacterium, Paenibacillus larvae, which infects the larvae of honeybees. She also has a biotechnology project investigating the use of microbes in hydroponics.
Microbial Ecology, Environmental Microbiology
My research is currently concentrated on two areas of microbiology:
- the treatment of Paenibacillis larvae, a honeybee pathogen, which causes American Foulbrood Disease, using bacteriophage;
- basic microbial ecology of oil formation microorganisms and surfactants produced by them.
- Amy, P.S., C. Pauling and R.Y. Morita. 1983. Starvation-survival processes in a marine Vibrio sp. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 45:1041-1048.
- Amy, P.S., C. Pauling and R.Y. Morita. 1983. Recovery from nutrient starvation by a marine Vibrio sp. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 45:1685-1690.
- Amy, P.S. and R.Y. Morita. 1983. Protein patterns from growing and starved cells of a marine Vibrio sp. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 45:1748-1752.
- Reeve, C.A., P.S. Amy and A. Matin. 1984. Role of protein synthesis in the survival of carbon-starved Escherichia coli K12. J. Bacteriol. 160:1041-1046.
- Amy, P.S., J.W. Schulke, L.M. Frazier and R.J. Seidler. 1985. Characterization of aquatic bacteria and cloning of genes specifying partial degradation of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 49:1237-1245.
- Amy, P.S., B.A. Caldwell, A.H. Soeldner, R.Y. Morita and L.J. Albright. 1987. Microbial activity and ultrastructure of mineral based marine snow from Howe Sound, British Columbia. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 44:1135-1142.
- Lindow, S.E., G.R. Knudsen, R.J. Seidler, M.V. Walter, V.W. Lambou, P.S. Amy, D. Schmedding, V. Prince, and S. Hern. 1988. Aerial dispersal and epiphytic survival of Pseudomonas syringae during a pretest for the release of genetically engineered strains into the environment. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 54:1557-1567.
- Amy, P.S., D.L. Haldeman, D. Ringelberg, D.H. Hall and C.E. Russell. 1992. Comparison of identification systems for the study of water and endolithic bacterial isolates from the subsurface. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 58:3367-3373.
- Amy, P.S., H.D. Hiatt, and R.K. Dupre. 1993. Protein production during heat stress and exposure to toxicants in Alcaligenes eutrophus JMP 228. Environ. Tox. And Water Qual. 8:153-162.
- Amy, P.S., C. Durham, D. Hall, and D. Haldeman. 1993. Starvation-survival of deep subsurface isolates. Curr. Microbiol. 26:345-352.
- Haldeman, D.L., and P.S. Amy. 1993. Bacterial heterogeneity in deep subsurface tunnels at Rainier Mesa, Nevada Test Site. Microbial Ecol. 25:183-194.
- Kieft, T.L., E.M. Murphy, D.L. Haldeman, P.S. Amy, B.N. Bjornstad, E.V. McDonald, D.B. Ringelberg, D.C. White, J. Stair, R.P. Griffiths, T.C. Gsell, W.E. Holben, and D.R. Boone. 1998. Microbial transport, survival and succession in a sequence of buried sediments. Microbial Ecol. 36:336-348.
- Pitonzo, B., M. Rudin, and P.S. Amy. 1999. Effect of gamma radiation on native endolithic microbes. Radiation Research. 152:71-75.
- Pitonzo, B., M. Rudin and P.S. Amy. 1999. Resuscitation of microbes after gamma radiation. Radiation Research. 152:64-70.
- Jones, D.A., and P.S. Amy. 2000. Related electrochemical characteristics of microbial metabolism and iron corrosion. Indust. Eng. and Chem. Res. 39:575-582.
- Batista, Jacimaria R., Lambis Papelis, Karen Kesterson and Penny Amy. Potential for Bioremediation of the Perchlorate-Contaminated Sediments in the Las Vegas Wash Area, Henderson, Nevada. Remediation J. Autumn 2005. pp. 73-87.
- K. E. Kesterson, P. S. Amy, and J. R. Batista. 2006. Limitations to Natural Bioremediation of Perchlorate in a Contaminated Site. Bioremediation.
- Amy, P.S. and D.L. Haldeman (eds). 1997. The Microbiology of the Terrestrial Deep Subsurface. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Amy, P.S. Dormancy and Survival in the Subsurface. 1997. In The Microbiology of the Terrestrial Deep Subsurface, Amy and Haldeman (eds). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Amy, P.S., and D.L. Haldeman. Denizens of the Deep. 1997. In The Microbiology of the Terrestrial Deep Subsurface, Amy and Haldeman (eds). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Amy, P.S. and D. L. Haldeman. Methods for the Identification of Microbial Isolates. 2001. Encyclopedia of Environmental Microbiology. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. p.1958-1967.
- Haldeman, D.L. and Amy, P.S. 2001. Rainier Mesa: Volcanic Tuffs: Deep Subsurface Microbiology. Encyclopedia of Environmental Microbiology, John Wiley and Sons, Inc. p. 3310-3319
- Amy, P.S. and D. L. Haldeman. 2000-2001. The Microbiology of Yucca Mountain: A Proposed High Level Nuclear Waste Repository, Encyclopedia of Environmental Microbiology. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. p. 2250-2260.