Dale Devitt is a soil and water scientist who focuses his research on soil plant water relationships in arid environments. Much of his research has addressed osmotic and matric interactions on plants, with special emphasis on irrigated systems with poor quality water. He currently is the UNLV water component lead of the NSF EPSCoR climate change study in which two transects comprised of sophisticated weather stations are being placed on two mountain ranges in Nevada.
He is also the Director of the Center for Urban Water Conservation that conducts both applied and basic research related to urban water related issues. A current study is investigating the fate and transport of pharmaceuticals in turfgrass systems irrigated with recycled water.
Dale Devitt received his B.S. degree in Environmental Science, M.S. degree in Soil Science and Ph.D. in Soil Science all at the University of California Riverside. He is the author of 72 peer reviewed publications and one book. In his spare time he interacts with community-based organization addressing homelessness, is an avid wine maker and enjoys the outdoors.
Soil and Water Scientist, Water Management, Water Conservation, Water Quality, Evapotranspiration, Salinity, Climate Change, Biofuels
I am the Director of the Center for Urban Water Conservation. My research focuses on water use in urban areas. However, recently my research has also focused on water use at the ecosystem level assessing potential environmental consequences of water diversion and or climate change.
- Jordan L.A., Devitt D.A., Morris R.L. and Neumann D.S. 2001. Foliar damage to ornamental trees sprinkler-irrigated with reuse water. Irrigation Science 21:17-25.
- Devitt D.A. and S.D. Smith. 2002. Water and Tracer Movement Associated With
- The Presence of Root Channel Macropores of Larrea tridentata. Journal of Arid Environment 50:99-108.
- Devitt D.A., D.J. Donovan, T. Katzer, and M.Johnson. 2002. A reevaluation of the ground water budget for Las Vegas Valley Nevada, with emphasis on ground water discharge. J. Amer. Water Resour. Assoc. 38:1735-1751.
- Schaan C.M. D.A. Devitt, R.L. Morris and L.Clark. 2003. Cyclic irrigation of turfgrass using a shallow saline aquifer. Agron. J. 95:660-667.
- Borden G.W., D.A. Devitt, R.L. Morris, M.L. Robinson and J. Lopez. 2003. Residential assessment and perception toward biosolid compost use in the urban setting of Las Vegas Nevada. Compost Science and Utilization.
- Devitt D.A. R.L. Morris and D.S. Neuman. 2003. Impact of water treatment on foliar damage of landscape trees sprinkle irrigated with reuse water. Journal of Environmental Horticulture 21(2):82-88.
- Brown C., D.A. Devitt and R.L. Morris. 2004. Water use and physiological response of tall fescue turf to water deficit irrigation in an arid environment. HortScience 39:388-393.
- Devitt D.A., R.L. Morris, D. Kopec and M. Henry. Golf Course superintendent’s attitudes and perceptions toward using reuse water for irrigation in the southwestern United States. HortTechnology 14(4):1-7.
- Devitt D.A., R.L. Morris and L.K. Fenstermaker. Foliar damage, spectral reflectance and tissue ion analysis of trees sprinkle irrigated with waters of similar salinity but different chemical composition. Hort Science Hort Science, 40(3):819-826.
- Devitt D.A. R.L. Morris, M. Baghzouz, M.Lockett. 2005. Water quality changes in golf course irrigation ponds transitioning to reuse water. Hort Science 40:2151-2156.
- Devitt D.A. R.L. Morris, L.K, Fenstermaker, M. Baghzouz and D.S. Neuman. Foliar damage and flower production of landscape plants sprinkle irrigated with reuse water. Hort Science Hort Science, 40(6):1871-1878.
- Bowman D.C., D.A. Devitt and G. Cramer 2006.Effect of salinity and N status on N uptake by tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Schreb) turf. J. Plant Nutrition. Volume 29: pp. 1481 - 1490
- Bowman D.C., D.A. Devitt and G.Cramer. 2006. Effect of N status on salinity tolerance of tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Schreb) turf Journal of Plant Nutrition 29(8), 1491-1497
- Bowman D.C., D.A. Devitt and W.Miller. 2006. The Effect of Moderate Salinity on Nitrate Leaching from Bermudagrass Turf. Water Air & Soil Pollution, 175:49-60.
- Baghzouz M, D.A. Devitt and R.L. Morris. 2006. Evaluating temporal variability in the spatial reflectance response of annual ryegrass to changes in nitrogen applications and leaching fractions. Int. J. Remote Sensing. Vol27 No 19:4137-4158
- Baghzouz M, D.A. Devitt and R.L. Morris. 2007. Evaluating temporal variability in the spectral reflectance response of annual ryegrass to changes in nitrogen applications
- and leaching. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Appl. Eng Ag. 23:763-774.
- Devitt D.A., M. Lockett, R.L. Morris and B.M. Bird. 2007. Spatial and temporal distribution of salts on fairways and greens irrigated with reuse water. Agronomy journal 99:692-700.
- Devitt D.A., M.H. Young, M. Baghzouz and B.M. Bird. 2007. Surface temperature, heat loading and spectral reflectance of artificial turfgrass. J. Turfgrass and Sports Surface Science 82:13-27.
- Devitt D.A., R.L. Morris and K. Carstensen. 2008. Water Savings Associated with ET Controllers on Residential Landscapes. J. Irrig. and Drain. Eng. 134, 74 (2008)
- Devitt D.A. D.C. Bowman, M. Lockett, R.L. Morris and L. Wright. 2008. Nitrate-N Concentrations in the Soil Solution Below Reuse Irrigated Golf course Fairways. HortScience 43(7)2196-2202.
- Lockett, D.A. Devitt and R.L. Morris. Impact of reuse water on golf course soil and turfgrass parameters monitored over a 4.5 year period. 2008. HortScience 43(7) 2210-2218.
- Rolston St. Hilaire1, Michael A. Arnold2, Dale A. Devitt3, Brian H. Hurd4, Bruce J. Lesiker2 Virginia I. Lohr5, Chris A. Martin6, Garry V. McDonald2, Robert L. Morris7, Dennis R. Pittenger8, David A. Shaw8, Don C. Wilkerson9, and David F. Zoldoske10
- Efficient Water Use in Urban Landscapes. 2008. HortScience 43(7) 2081-2092.
- Morris, R., M. Norton, D. Devitt, E. Zamora, R. Heflebower and R. Call. 2009. An International and Multi Institutional Cooperative Desert
- Horticulture Program for Southern Nevada. Acta Horticulturae. Proc. of the Vth International Symposium on Horticultural Education, Research, Training and Consultancy. pp. 147-152.
- Baghzouz M., D.A. Devitt, L.F. Fenstermaker and M.H. Young. 2010. Monitoring vegetation phenological cycles in two different semi-arid environmental settings using a ground based NDVI system: A potential approach to improve satellite data interpretation.
- Remote Sens. 2010, 2(4), 990-1013
- Devitt D.A., L.F. Fenstermakere, M.H. Young, B. Conrad, M. Baghzouz, B.M. Bird. 2010. Evapotranspiration of mixed shrub communities in phreatophytic zones of the Great Basin region of Nevada (USA). J. Ecohydrology.Oct. 20101 DOI:10.1002/eco.169.
- Devitt. D.A. and R.L. Morris. Sustainable Water Use in Urban Landscapes in the 21st Century: A LasVegas Perspective. Acta. Hort. 483-486.
SEB Program Group: Arid Lands Soil-Plant-Water Stress Interactions
SEB Lab Location: 4157
SEB Lab Phone Number: 702-774-1443