Insect Physiology, Experimental Evolution, Evolutionary Physiology
I am interested in how organisms interact with their environments and adapt to stressful conditions. We have done numerous studies of desert insects and their ability to survive high temperatures and lack of water. My lab also uses experimental evolution to study how physiological systems function and evolve under stress. A current project involves finding genes that affect obesity in starvation-resistant fruit flies.
- Aguila, J.R., D.K. Hoshizaki and A.G. Gibbs. Contribution of larval nutrition to adult reproduction in Drosophila melanogaster. Submitted.
- Hoshizaki, D.K., A.G. Gibbs and N.D. Bond. Fat body. In: R.F. Chapman's The Insects: Structure and Function, 5th ed., S.J. Simpson, ed. Submitted.
- Merkey, A.B., C.K. Wong, D.K. Hoshizaki and A.G. Gibbs. Energetics of metamorphosis in Drosophila melanogaster. In revision.
- Bond, N.D., D.K. Hoshizaki and A.G. Gibbs (2010).The role of 20-hydroxyecdysone signaling in Drosophila pupal metabolism. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A 157: 398-404.
- Gibbs, A.G. and S. Rajpurohit (2010). Water-proofing properties of cuticular lipids. In: Insect Lipids; Biology, Biochemistry and Chemical Biology G.J. Blomquist and A.G. Bagneres, eds. pp. 100-120.
- Sinclair, B.J., A.G. Gibbs, W-K. Lee, A. Rajamohan, S.P. Roberts and J.J. Socha (2009). Synchrotron X-ray visualisation of ice formation in insects during lethal and non-lethal freezing. PLoS ONE 4(12): e8259. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0008259.
- Gefen, E. and A.G. Gibbs (2009). Interactions between environmental stress and male mating success may enhance reproductive isolation of stress-resistant Drosophila populations. Evolution 63: 1653-1659.
- Gibbs, A.G. and E. Gefen (2009). Physiological adaptation and laboratory selection. In: Experimental Evolution T. Garland and M.R. Rose, eds. pp. 523-550.
- Gefen, E., C. Ung and A.G. Gibbs (2009). Partitioning of transpiratory water loss of the desert scorpion, Hadrurus arizonensis (Iuridae). Journal of Insect Physiology 55: 544-548.
- Dahlhoff, E.P., S.L. Fearnley, D.A. Bruce, A.G. Gibbs, R. Stoneking, D.M. McMillan, K. Diener, J.T. Smiley and N.E. Rank (2008). Differences among phosphoglucose isomerase genotypes in effects of temperature on physiology and fecundity of a montane willow beetle: implications for persistence of native populations enduring climate change. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81: 718-732.
- Smigel, J. and A.G. Gibbs (2008). Conglobation in the pill bug (Armadillidium vulgare) as a water conservation mechanism. Journal of Insect Science Available online: insectscience.org/8.44
- Gibbs, A.G. and D.K. Hoshizaki (2008). Meeting report: Life is a gas. Fly 2: 1-2.
- Aguila, J.R., J. Suszko, A.G. Gibbs and D.K. Hoshizaki (2007). The role of larval fat cells in adult Drosophila melanogaster. Journal of Experimental Biology 210: 956-963.
- Sinclair, B.J., A.G. Gibbs and S.P. Roberts (2007). Gene transcription during exposure to, and recovery from, cold and desiccation stress in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Molecular Biology 16: 435-443.
- Sinclair, B.J., S. Nelson, T.L. Nilson, S.P. Roberts and A.G. Gibbs (2007). The effect of selection for desiccation resistance on cold tolerance of Drosophila melanogaster. Physiological Entomology 32: 322-327.
- Kaun, K.R., C.A.L. Riedl, M.Chakaborty-Chatterjee, A.T. Belay, S.J. Douglas, A.G. Gibbs and M.B. Sokolowski (2007). Natural variation in a cGMP-dependent protein kinase affects food-related traits in Drosophila. Journal of Experimental Biology 210: 3547-3558.
- Gibbs, A.G. (2007). Waterproof cockroaches: the early work of J. A. Ramsay. Invited commentary for JEB Classics. Journal of Experimental Biology 210: 921-922.
- Hoshizaki, D.K. and A.G. Gibbs (2007). Meeting report: Integrating insulin signaling and stress responses. Fly 1: 110-112.
- Quinlan, M.C. and A.G. Gibbs (2006). Discontinuous gas exchange in terrestrial insects. Respiration Physiology and Neurobiology 154: 18-29.
- Chown, S.L., A.G. Gibbs, S.K. Hetz, C.J. Klok, J.R.B. Lighton, E. Marais (2006). Discontinuous gas exchange in insects: a clarification of hypotheses and approaches. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 79: 333-343.
- Gefen, E., A.J. Marlon and A.G. Gibbs (2006). Selection for desiccation resistance in adult Drosophila melanogaster affects larval development and metabolite accumulation. Journal of Experimental Biology 209: 3293-3300.
SEB Program Group: Integrative Physiology
SEB Lab Location: 3121
SEB Lab Phone Number: 702-895-1552