FDH 169. The entrance is between the door to Studio A and the exterior door.
Equipment Pick Up
By Appointment, Monday through Friday, 12 Noon to 6 p.m.
For a list of the equipment available to you, refer to the equipment policy information provided to your class. If your class did not receive a list, you are not eligible to check out equipment.
For additional lighting and equipment, we recommend JR Lighting, Inc. at 702-649-5555. With proof of current enrollment, you will get a discounted student rate.
All students must supply their own recording media for cameras and recorders. This includes miniDV tapes for the DVX-100, SDHC cards for DSLR cameras, and SD cards for audio recorders.
Insurance Deductible Agreement
In order to check out equipment, each student must agree in writing to be responsible for at least the minimum insurance deductible of $2,000 per item, per incident for damage to borrowed University equipment. Students assume full responsibility for lost, stolen, damaged, or otherwise degraded equipment while it is on loan from the University.
In the case of loss or damage, the student will be charged for the parts and labor necessary to repair or replace the item, up to the amount of $2000 per incident. You will not be permitted to check out equipment again until you have paid your fee.
If you have not paid your fee within two weeks of returning your equipment, we will put a hold on your account with the registrar, preventing you from enrolling in new classes or requesting transcripts until your fee is paid.
Equipment Room Policy and Procedures
- Equipment requests must be submitted online to find the form and turn in your request.
- Requests must be submitted at least one full business day before you plan to pick up. This means that you must submit your request by 9 a.m. the day before you pick up. There will be no same-day pick-up.
- Students must inspect all equipment before leaving the equipment room. This means, at minimum, setting up the tripod, powering up the camera, testing all lights, and accounting for all accessories. Report damaged or missing parts to the attendant, who will replace your equipment or make a record of the problem. Any problems not noted at the time of checkout become the responsibility of the student.
- Equipment is assigned based on the date of request; first come, first served. The earlier you submit your request, the better we will be able to accommodate you.
- Equipment returned after the due date will be assessed a $20 fee per day, beginning with the due date. You may not check out again until your fee is paid.
- Equipment returned in a messy or disorganized condition will be assessed a $20 handling fee. Keep your equipment clean and organized. You may be asked to re-pack your own equipment.
- When you return equipment, be sure to notify the staff of any problems, damage, or loss that occurred while you had the equipment.
- The equipment assigned to you or your group is for your use only. Do not loan borrowed equipment to other students or unaffiliated productions.
Note: Do not park in the fire lane beside FDH while picking up or dropping off. Do not use the vendor spaces. Use the parking meters in front of FDH or in the visitor lot. After 1 p.m. on Friday only, you may park in any staff space in the FDH lot. There is no special parking accommodation for film students.
Each student is responsible for knowing how to safely and properly use the equipment they check out. The Equipment Room staff will help any student who needs additional instruction on the use of equipment. Do not be afraid to ask for help. There is no such thing as a silly question.
Remember, it is your responsibility to exercise the utmost care with the equipment, your crew, and yourself. Do not put any equipment or people in an "at-risk" situation. Use common sense and be prepared at all times. Be sure to have a First Aid kit on hand while shooting. Have a plan to respond to emergencies, and know the location of the nearest emergency room or other urgent care provider. Keep emergency contact information for your crew, and be sure that their attire and close-toed shoes are adequate for safety. Always use gloves when working with lights.
Take care of your Equipment, Take care of your Crew, and Make Great Films!
- Wednesday, September 4 – First day to check out equipment
- Tuesday, October 1 – Film Department Assembly at 9:30
- Friday, October 25 – CLOSED for the Nevada Day Holiday
- Monday, November 11 – CLOSED for the Veterans Day Holiday
- Thursday and Friday, November 28-29 – CLOSED for the Thanksgiving Holiday
- Friday, December 6 – Last day to check out equipment.
- Monday, December 9 – All equipment must be returned. No check out during Finals Week.