Master of Arts - Economics
UNLV's economics department offers a Master of Arts (M.A.) in applied economics. Students who obtain the M.A. will demonstrate a master’s level understanding of economic theory and will work competently with data and interpret clearly the results of empirical studies. Over the course of the program, M.A. students develop and hone their abilities to solve problems. Communicating the results of economic analysis is a valuable skill in the business world and the program provides students the opportunity to develop their writing and presentation skills. The program produces students with a set of skills that both businesses and policymakers value. M.A. students in economics are attractive candidates for different employers — government agencies, marketing research firms, corporate research and financial departments, and consulting firms. Students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in economics or finance also benefit from the MA in economics. The department welcomes both full and part-time students. Ambitious students can complete the program in one year.
- Analyze behavior of economic agents under various market structures.
- Apply the tools of welfare economics to public-policy problems.
- Construct and apply microeconomic models.
- Construct and apply macroeconomic models.
- Use statistical methods to explain and interpret economic data.
- Use critical-thinking skills to analyze economic issues.
- Provide evidence of effective writing and presentation skills; as well as the ability to conduct independent research.