UNLV has always been an ambitious university with a longstanding mission to serve its growing and dynamic region.
The UNLV Top Tier Initiative (formerly called the Path to Tier One) is an extension of our vision of entering the top 100 American research universities, as designated by the Carnegie Foundation as a Highest Research Activity (R1) University.
The best way to envision the difference is that becoming a R1 University is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition of becoming a fully-functioning, Top Tier university. Top Tier means:
- faculty members engaged in high-quality research, scholarship, and creative activity, whether or not that research, scholarship, or creative activity leads to increases in research expenditures or the graduation of more Ph.D. students (both of which are necessary for RU/VH status);
- a superb student educational experience;
- an academic health center that has a fully accredited medical school that is integrated with the other health science units as well as with faculty members whose research overlaps with the health science division;
- a clearer gateway to facilitate community partnerships with UNLV; and
- a significantly better functioning infrastructure that provides meaningful opportunities for shared governance.
During 2014-2015, we worked to develop a comprehensive, data-driven plan that further defined our vision, assessed our current environment, identified needs and the associated costs, and then set forth strategies and tactics for addressing those needs. Through the work of campus and community constituents, we formally assessed the university and strategically analyzed what it takes to become a Top Tier Institution. We examined our organizational structure, our policies and culture, and our leadership and staffing. The process resulted in agreed-upon, transparent, and measurable goals for moving forward.
The planning process led to amending our mission as we defined our vision, mission, goals, and strategies. There are five major goal areas:
- Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity
- Student Achievement
- Academic Health Center
- Community Partnerships
- Infrastructure and Shared Governance
Each goal area has a steering committee tasked with developing and implementing action plans for the 2016-2017 academic year. Based on each goal area and the associated goals and key measures of success, tasks have been defined in order to determine what can be accomplished and to develop a long-term plan for the next several years.
How long will it take UNLV to achieve Top Tier status?
The planning process will create a map to guide the university as we progress to Top Tier status. Some of this journey is within UNLV's control, but some of it will depend on the resources and investments that the community, state, and private partners are willing to make. The Top Tier Initiative will not be achieved overnight. With the will and hard work of our faculty, staff, and students and the right level of investment of our public and private partners, UNLV could be designated by the Carnegie Foundation as a Highest Research Activity (R1) university within 10 to 20 years.