Psychiatric and Behavioral Health Team (BHT) Services
During the COVID19 outbreak, psychiatric services are continuing!
You can easily reach team members by calling 702-895-3627. We are available during normal business hours, which are Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. New evaluations and follow-up appointments are taking place via telehealth.
Telehealth is loosely defined as communication with patients over distances. Telehealth options are by phone or WebEx. The use of WebEx is preferred for new evaluations. For information on WebEx, please see UNLV WebEx.
If you are in need of psychiatric services, please see CAPS for your initial assessment. CAPS will then make a referral to the Behavioral Health Team. Once the referral is received, a psychiatric nurse will call you for additional information and to schedule an appointment.
At the time of your new evaluation, your doctor will setup an appointment in WebEx using your UNLV email address. Once this happens, you will receive an invite to a WebEx meeting through Google. The invite is generated on the same day as your appointment. At the time of your meeting, you will click on the link and connect to your doctor, your doctor will soon join you. If WebEx is not available to you, please contact us at 702-895-3627 and request a phone appointment.
Follow-up appointments are through phone or WebEx. Your initial follow-up appointment will be by phone unless you contact us at 702-895-3627 to schedule an appointment by WebEx. During your first follow-up appointment by phone, you and your doctor can decide whether to hold future appointments by phone or WebEx.
For all medication refills, please call 702-895-3627, even if you contacted your pharmacy. Your call will be transferred to a psychiatric nurse or you will be asked to leave a message. If you leave a voicemail, please clearly state your name, call back number, refill needed, and pharmacy phone number.
Behavioral Health Provider Services
Our Behavioral Health Provider (psychologist), Dr Britney Alford, will be in support of Student Health Center and BHT clients throughout the crisis using telehealth services.
- For life threatening emergencies ,immediately call 911 or go directly to an emergency room. Please visit the Crisis/Emergency Services page for suicide hotlines and additional resources.
- Your doctor’s phone call may show up as an unidentified phone number. If you do not answer the phone at your designated appointment time, your doctor will call back in a few minutes. If you wish, you can call us back at 702-895-3627.
- Please setup your voicemail so you can receive messages; please make sure it’s not full.
- Secure electronic messages are delivered via the UNLV WellnessView Portal. If you receive a message stating you have a secure message, please check the portal.
- Please do not use UNLV email to contact us since Gmail accounts cannot be monitored if a doctor is out sick or on leave. Please call us at the 702-895-3627 if you need assistance.
Enhancements to Psychiatric Care
Engaging in therapy while receiving psychiatric care is an important part of treatment. Please see the Student Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website for information on scheduling appointments for therapy, or CAPS at 702-895-3627. Please also refer to the TAO Connect online assisted therapy on this page.