Number of Positions Available: Varies from 3-5
Clinical training and supervision is offered for graduate students in clinical psychology, counseling, marriage and family, and social work.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completed graduate-level coursework (700-level) in:
- Theories of counseling/psychotherapy.
- Basic counseling techniques, methods, or skills that are empirically supported.
- Ethics and professional practice (either as a graduate course or as a discrete unit in a professional issues course).
- Diagnosis using the most recent version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).
- Clinical Training
- A minimum of at least one semester of graduate-level, supervised clinical experience in individual counseling. A year or more of supervised clinical experience is strongly preferred.
- Prior supervised work at a clinical mental health facility may be considered in fulfilling the clinical requirement.
Please note that students interested in gaining experience working with couples and/or group therapy need to have completed basic coursework in these areas. Additional supervised clinical experience would be preferable.
Because CAPS works with multiple academic programs with varying schedules, review of applications occurs on an ongoing basis.
Note: To discourage the potential of dual relationships, students who are former clients at CAPS must wait 6 months or one full academic semester after termination of therapy before applying for practicum.
Applicants for the Practicum Trainee position need to complete and submit the following to CAPS:
- The CAPS Practicum application form
- A current resume/curriculum vita.
- A copy of current transcripts.
- A cover letter explaining how a practicum at CAPS would fit with your short- and long-term professional goals.
- The names of two references: Preferably one from a current/previous site supervisor and another from a faculty member in your academic department who can address your qualifications and clinical skills.