Graduate Admission

Admission to the MSW Program is based on a holistic review of application materials to the MSW Admissions Committee. For those with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree, we have the opportunity of advanced standing placement. For our regular MSW Program, we accept applicants with diverse academic and professional backgrounds. The MSW Program can be completed under a full-time, 2-year plan of study, or part-time on a 3- or 4-year basis. For those also accepted by the Boyd School of Law, a Dual Degree MSW/JD may also be requested.

Minimum Requirements

Advanced Standing MSW Program (42 credits):

  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree, within last five years
  • Minimum overall GPA of 3.25 for the BSW degree
  • Preference for 3 years post-BSW practice experience

MSW Program (63 credits):

  • Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 for the bachelor’s degree
  • A bachelor’s degree in social work or related field

MSW/JD Dual Degree Program (80 law credit hours and 54 social work credit hours):

  • Acceptance to both the MSW and JD Programs at UNLV
  • Letter to both programs requesting Dual Degree acceptance
  • Simultaneous graduation from both programs

For all applicants:

  • No more than two course deficiencies when admitted to the MSW Program; if course deficiencies are allowed when entering the program, they must be completed within the time specified in the admission process.
  • Pre-requisite courses:
    • Two English composition of literature courses
    • One college-level mathematics course
    • Three courses in social sciences, preferably courses in psychology, sociology, and anthropology
    • One course in fine arts or humanities
    • One course in history or political science
    • One course or content in human biology, preferably in biology, possibly in psychology
    • One course or content in diverse cultures, social conditions, or social problems
  • Please note: No credit can be given for life or work experiences

Our admission process has become increasingly competitive given the number of inquiries and applications we receive for each incoming cohort of students. Each part of the application materials is important for the Admission Committee’s understanding of who you are and how you have developed an interest in pursuing the Master of Social Work degree. You will be asked to complete an online electronic application through the Grad Rebel Gateway, as well as supplying information to the Graduate College and us regarding the following:

  • Overall undergraduate GPA (transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended)
  • List of pre-requisite courses completed
  • Statement of Intent
  • Resume showing volunteer and employment experience
  • Review/signature of the NASW Code of Ethics
  • Three (3) contacts for references

We have an Informational Supplement to help you understand and practice the application prior to completing the online application, if that is helpful to you, but please be aware that we no longer accept any hard-copy applications.

The deadlines for the MSW applications to be completed in the Grad Rebel Gateway:

  • Priority Review: November 1, 2016
  • Advanced Standing MSW Program: March 1, 2017
  • Full-Time and Part-Time MSW Programs: April 1, 2017
  • Dual Degree MSW/JD Program: April 1, 2017
  • Decision Deadline: July 1, 2017
  • Wait List Decision Deadline: July 15, 2017

We will begin reviewing applications as they are received. There are three possible responses to your application prior to the final deadlines:

  1. Offer of admission—you will be asked to provide a response within a time frame of two weeks to the offer of admission.
  2. Wait Listing—you have been placed on the wait list. Those placed on the wait list will remain on the wait list as other applications are reviewed, but may notify us if they wish to be removed from the Wait List.
  3. Denial—you have been denied an offer of admission to the next cohort of incoming MSW students, but you may ask to meet with the MSW Admissions Chair to discuss the potential of a future application to the program.

If you are interested in applying for the MSW Program, please join us for an MSW Applicant Information Session. The dates for these are posted each semester under Announcements on our website, or you may call the office at 702-895-3311, or contact the MSW Admissions Coordinator, Dr. Mary-Ann Overcamp-Martini, at [email protected] for more information.

For more information about becoming a graduate student at UNLV, click on Request Information. The application for the MSW Program can be found on the Grad Rebel Gateway by clicking on Apply Now.

Financial Assistance

Information about financial assistance, such as grants, scholarships, loans and employment opportunities, are available through the UNLV Financial Aid & Scholarships office. Students interested in financial aid need to submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The Financial Aid office offers a tuition management system whereby students can pay fees monthly over a set period of time. The UNLV Graduate College also offers various scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships; more information can be found at Financing Graduate Studies. The application for graduate assistantships can be found on the Grad Rebel Gateway.

The School of Social Work offers some need/merit-based scholarships in the amount of $2000.00. Students must file a FAFSA application to be considered for these scholarships.

Additionally, the School of Social Work offers a HRSA clinical training grant stipend of $10,000.00 for MSW students in their final year of the Direct Practice concentration who are interested in completing their field practicum in an integrated health agency while focusing their graduate studies on the mental and behavioral health issues of children, adolescents, and young adults up to age 26. For more information about this clinical training grant, please contact Natasha Mosby at 702-895- 33123 or [email protected].

Students should also explore other opportunities for financial aid relative to their employment; for instance, some individuals may be able to receive tuition assistance from their employers, such as city and county organizations. Active-duty military and National Guard members may qualify for benefits under the GI Bill or other tuition assistance.