Security and System Requirements
Minimum Security Requirements
In order to provide a quality Internet connection for all residents on ResNet, every computer on our network must meet the following minimum security requirements. In order to do this, we require the following:
- Anti-virus and anti-spyware protection must be added to the system. Instructions for these differ by system and can be found below:
- We recommend that you switch to a more secure browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Any computer on ResNet that causes a network disruption may be removed from the network WITHOUT prior notification.
Pirating and illegally downloading software poses severe security risks to your computer. It is UNLV policy that students do NOT participate in such activities. It is in the experience of ResNet that many viruses occur on computers with peer-to-peer file-sharing software. Downloading software from an unknown source is a very common way to introduce an infection into a machine.
Recommended System Requirements
Both PC and Mac
- Minimum 2GHz processor or faster
- Minimum of 2GB of RAM
- Wired or Wireless Network capability
- Category 5, 5e, or 6 patch cable (If connecting to the wired network)
- Windows XP, 7, or 8
- An antivirus with a valid subscription — Symantec, Norton, MacAfee, etc.
A free copy of Symantec anti-virus can be obtained from the Student Union Room 231.
- Mac OS X
- Ethernet capabilities.