Workers' compensation is a benefit provided to employees who are injured as a result of performing their work duties. NSHE fully supports the right of every employee to file a workers' compensation claim when a work related injury or occupational disease occurs. Filing of a workers' compensation claim is not to be used as grounds for disciplinary action. If you have questions about this policy please contact Risk Management and Safety.
Risk Management and Safety provides support for institutions, departments, and employees regarding workers' compensation issues. Our primary responsibilities include:
- Evaluating and investigating claims
- Evaluating coverage issues
- Developing and interpreting workers' compensation policies and procedures
- Facilitating the early return-to-work of employees with restrictions
- Providing workers' compensation information and training
- Providing ergonomic training and evaluation
Risk Management and Safety also coordinates information with the other parties that are involved in the claim process.