The Office of Research and Economic Development, the Office of Research Integrity, and the Office of Sponsored Programs will continue normal business operations. However, these offices have begun to plan for the possibility of a more significant disruption. Laboratories and research facilities have also begun to plan for this possibility.
As you are aware, several universities in the U.S. have shut down their campuses due to concerns regarding the spread of COVID-19. In an attempt to deal with the potential of a UNLV campus closure, we are in the process of identifying the requirements for the campus to remain research active. We are specifically targeting research endeavors that are critical and must remain functioning during any closure. We understand that often your research cannot simply stop and that there may be samples and systems in place that represent your life’s work and must be maintained. For example, the ongoing research in SEB includes biological specimens requiring daily attention. Therefore, we need your input regarding your research needs in the event of UNLV closure. To help with this planning please provide the following:
- Where is your research Laboratory (i.e. what building is it housed in)?
- In which college/school is your appointment and who is your Dean?
- Do you have the ability to work remotely on your research?
- If yes, do you need help setting up external access to your workstation?
- If you must have laboratory access, please define the minimum group necessary to maintain your research program. (Provide the names, job titles, and email addresses of all research team members.)
- A campus closure may necessitate building entrances being locked 24/7 in the same manner we do for each weekend. Who needs access to SEB and HRC (minimum required to keep your lab up and running)? Does anyone need access who has not been issued an access card?
- How often would you need access? (e.g., daily, every other day, weekly, etc.
- What peripheral supplies (cryogens, chemicals, etc.) are required to keep your research functioning?
We would greatly appreciate this information as soon as you can provide it. Please email it to Eric Knight (email@example.com) if you are in the SEB or Kris Davidson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are in the HRC, and David Hatchett for all other facilities (email@example.com).