Harry Reid Silver State Research Award: Call for Nominations and Application Process
Call for Nominations
The Office of the President seeks nominations for the prestigious Harry Reid Silver State Research Award, which honors faculty who have performed research that is both highly regarded and responsive to the needs of the community and state. In order to nominate a colleague for this prestigious award, please prepare a formal one-page letter of nomination and submit it on behalf of the nominee. If you nominate a faculty member, please notify the nominee. He/she must then submit an application for the award. Be sure and address how the nominee and his/her research meet these criteria:
- Directly and positively affects the economic growth and development of Nevada
- Addresses a pressing social need in the community and/or region
- Demonstrably advances significant scholarship in an academic field of knowledge
Preparation of Application Packet
This packet must be completed by the nominee. Nominees must provide materials to support their nominations. The following materials, which should be compiled as a single PDF for uploading include:
- Letter of nomination (2 pages). This may replace one of the letters of recommendation from peer, chair, dean, or supervisor if desired.
- Letter of application (not to exceed five pages) outlining research activities and how they meet at least one and, ideally, all of the three criteria for the award.
- Current curriculum vitae of nominee that clearly classifies contributions according to the level of peer review.
- Sample publications or scholarly works (no more than five).
- A short biography of the nominee (no longer than 400 words).
Please arrange for letters of recommendation to be sent directly to [email protected]. These can be 2-3 pages and must be received by the application deadline.
- Letter of recommendation from a peer.
- Letter of recommendation from nominee’s dean, department chair, or supervisor if not provided as letter of nomination above.
- Letter from an external community representative.
Note: Supporting documentation that cannot be uploaded, such as books or DVDs, may be hand-delivered to Dene Charlet, SEB 2104. Please provide only one copy of each item. No other supporting materials will be considered.
Application packets should be uploaded to the application portal.
The deadline is 5 p.m., Feb. 12, 2016.
Contact Dene Charlet at [email protected] or call 702-895-2398.