Promotion & Tenure
Promotion and tenure are important milestones in a faculty member's career. Both are designed to build a faculty committed to excellence for the University while rewarding faculty for their teaching, creative, research/scholarly, and service contributions to the University and their respective field. Promotion and tenure is a rigorous process involving multiple layers of review and begins with the hiring process.
2017-2018 Promotion & Tenure Cycle
Faculty members applying for promotion and tenure will document their teaching, creative, research/scholarly, and service contributions and have this record reviewed at several levels within the University and by external reviewers in their field. In consultation with the Faculty Senate, it has been decided that Digital Measures will be the platform used to complete the tenure and/or promotion application. Because tenure and promotion are such important milestones in a faculty member's career, a variety of support services have been created to assist users through these changes. These services include:
- A team to answer questions about the process, as well as the forms
- Updated instructions, including flowcharts and checklists
- Digital Measures support sessions
Soon there will be available for download a consolidated file of the 2017-2018 Promotion & Tenure Cycle documents, including committee, dean, and department chair evaluation forms; faculty waiver form; and more. Currently, the 2016-2017 materials are still posted so that applicants and others involved in the promotion and tenure process can learn more about the timeline and procedures. The timeline of the 2017-2018 cycle will not vary significantly from that of the 2016-2017 cycle. For additional information, please consult the promotion and tenure governing documents below, particularly the UNLV Policy on Early Tenure and the Tenure Flexibility Request Form.
Spring 2017 P&T Forums
- Thursday, April 6, 2017 from 1:30 to 3:30 PM in SU 207 (focus on tenure)
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM in SU 205 (focus on promotion to full professor)
Congratulations to the 2017-2018 Tenure Recipients!
Executive Vice President and Provost, Diane Z. Chase, congratulates the faculty who have received tenure commencing July 1, 2017. The tenure recommendations were officially approved at the March 2017 Board of Regents meeting.
Read the full announcement here.
Promotion & Tenure Governing Documents
- Board of Regents Handbook, specifically:
- UNLV Bylaws, specifically:
- Chapter 1, Section 4: "Tenure"
- Chapter 3, Section 9: "Faculty Personnel Files"
- Chapter 3, Section 16: "Guidelines for Promotion or Appointment to Academic Rank"
- UNLV Policy on Early Tenure
- Tenure Flexibility Request Form (Right-click to save file and open with Adobe Reader.)
Questions regarding Promotion & Tenure can be directed to [email protected].