The Peer Guide will contact their new hire to set up the first meeting upon receiving the new employee’s contact information. Peer Guides are encouraged to meet with their match for one hour. Following the first meeting, the pair will schedule a meeting once a month for the next 3 months, at least a half-hour in length.
Throughout the academic year, UNLV will strive to provide networking opportunities. Pairs are encouraged to attend events in order to form connections with Peer Connection Program members.
Guides will be asked to:
- Familiarize themselves with the Program outline and Toolkit;
- Participate in an information session for training, if conducted;
- Maintain confidentiality – this is a relationship of trust. A new employee often does not want to ask certain questions, especially to immediate colleagues or supervisor;
- Stay open-minded and avoid being judgmental;
- Provide periodic updates to the Peer Connections Program Committee;
- Participate in an introductory and conclusion survey for each 4-month pairing with a new peer (new hire);
- Commit to a new pairing at the conclusion of each 4-month pairing with your new peer;
- Meet monthly (perhaps over coffee or lunch) for at least a half-hour with your assigned new employee and interact regularly; and
- Notify the Peer Connections Program Committee in writing if you decide you no longer wish to participate.
A Peer Guide does not:
- Replace the supervisor/manager role or take on any supervisory or lead duties;
- Act as the “go-to” person regarding assignments, business decisions, etc.;
- Provide training and/or assess performance; and
- Act as a career mentor or job coach.