Types of Permits

All vehicles visiting or parking on campus need a permit or they will be cited. This includes guests, visitors, speakers, performers, applicants, students, staff, faculty, vendors, deans, etc.

The only lot not requiring a permit is Lot S, which is a free parking lot.


These permits are valid in student spaces only. Students displaying a valid student permit may park in faculty/staff spaces after 5 p.m., with the exception of Lot I. New permits must be purchased every year.

Faculty & Staff

Due to the limited number of faculty/staff spaces, only employees or those on letter of appointment qualify for faculty/staff parking privileges. Faculty and staff of UNLV (including those employees on a Letter of Appointment), are required to purchase a faculty/staff parking permit, unless they are taking at least six credit hours at a college or university within the Nevada System of Higher Education. These permits are valid in faculty/staff or student parking spaces. Those individuals that are registered for a minimum of six undergraduate or three graduate academic credit hours may have the option of purchasing a student permit.


Participation in reserved parking is voluntary. Regular Reserved spaces are sold to interested faculty, staff, or students on a first-come/first-served basis. There are often times a waiting list for reserved spaces, as all spaces are typically sold. If spaces are not available and you would like to place your name on the list for reserved parking, please call 702-895-1300. If a space becomes available, and you are the next person on the list and opt not to take the space, your name will be removed.

These permits are valid in the designated numbered reserved space assigned and any student space on campus. Reserved parking is enforced 24 hours a day. There are three lots with reserved spaces: Lot N (next to the Lied Library), Lot A (the parking garage on Cottage Grove Avenue), and Lot G (located between Beam Hall and Tonopah Hall). The area in which the reserved spaces are located will be marked as a "tow-away zone." Standby spaces are provided for the holders of reserved spaces in the event someone parked illegally takes their space. If those spaces prove inadequate, illegally parked cars will be towed away (if requested).

Academic Reserved permits are approved by the Director and available to Deans, Associate Vice Presidents, and above. The location of a space is arranged through Parking and Transportation Services.


UNLV offers a limited number of annual resident parking spaces for $150. Resident permits will only be valid in the resident parking lot located at the northwest corner of Tropicana and Brussels (resident lot A), east of the Dayton Complex and south of the Williams, Boyd, and Rodman residence halls (resident lot B). Resident permits are assigned to one specific resident lot and are not valid in other parking areas on campus.

Resident permits must be purchased in person. Proof that you live in a residence hall and a current vehicle registration will be required to qualify for this permit type.

Handicapped/ADA Accommodations

Persons requiring parking on campus covered under ADA must have a valid state handicapped license plate or portable handicapped tag issued by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles, and handicapped parking is enforced 24 hours a day.

As of Aug. 25, 2008, all individuals with a state-issued handicap parking placard must also purchase a campus handicap parking permit and display both in their vehicle. This requirement will increase the availability of accessible parking spaces and significantly help curb the abuse of these stalls that currently exists.

To purchase these permits, the driver must present their current placard along with the letter received at the time of issuance and a form of identification when registering their vehicle at Parking and Transportation Services. These permits are not available for purchase online, and the cost depends on the driver's status (faculty, staff, or student).

Handicapped visitors will be required to purchase the proper amount of time at meters placed next to the accessible space. Faculty, staff, and students displaying both a state-issued handicap placard and a university handicap permit are not required to place money in the meters.

If an individual finds it difficult to park in a certain area, they are permitted to park at an available meter or a stall designated for their use.

The registered owner of the handicapped plate or tag must be in the vehicle when it is being parked. If another person is driving the vehicle and drops the handicapped person off at his or her destination and then proceeds to park in a handicapped space, the vehicle will be booted and the driver will be issued a $250 citation. Students found parked illegally in a handicapped space will also be referred to the Office of Student Conduct for disciplinary action. If your vehicle does not have a handicapped license plate, the portable handicapped tag issued by the state must be displayed on the rearview mirror or on the vehicle dashboard, face up so the permit may be easily viewed by any enforcement officers. Handicap permits must be used in accordance with NRS 484.408.

Expectant Mother Accommodation

UNLV Parking and Transportation Services offers a special needs permit for expectant mothers whose condition requires closer parking for a temporary period of time. Expectant mothers in their third trimester of pregnancy, or who are undergoing a high risk pregnancy, may obtain this special needs parking permit by providing a note from their physician to our office. A valid parking permit is required to be granted the special needs accommodation. Contact UNLV Parking and Transportation Services for more information.


Motorcycles must park in areas designated for them and cannot occupy automobile parking spaces. Motorcycles are not allowed to be operated on campus sidewalks or walkways.

Bicycles & Mopeds

Parking permits are not required for bicycles or mopeds. Bicycles used on campus must be ridden and parked with regard for the safety of pedestrians, and parking racks must be used. Bicycles cannot be parked or driven on pedestrian ramps to buildings or in buildings. Mopeds must be parked in motorcycle parking areas only and cannot be operated on campus sidewalks or walkways.


Vendor parking permits are for vendors and construction crews who are on campus for work-related issues. These permits are valid in faculty/staff and student spaces, in loading zones, and at meters (without payment). Vendor permits require administrative approval from Parking & Transportation Services . Construction or service vehicles must have a valid university permit. Such vehicles will be restricted from the campus sidewalks and walkways between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. unless otherwise permitted in writing. Service and construction vehicles and electric carts are not allowed to travel during class break periods on any heavily populated campus sidewalk or walkway. Certain areas may be restricted from any vehicle travel.


Contractor parking permits are for construction crews who are on campus for major construction projects. These permits are valid in designated spaces on the west side of Lot M only, north and west of the Campus Services Building, around the gate leading to Naples Avenue. These permits are not valid in any other lot. Contractor permits require administrative approval from Parking & Transportation Services.


Visitors must use metered areas or display a valid daily, weekly, or monthly permit available at Parking & Transportation Services . A metered lot specifically for visitors is located at the main entrance of the campus at Maryland Parkway and Harmon Avenue. Metered parking costs $1 per hour. Metered parking is also available in various lots throughout the campus. Visitors who purchase a daily or weekly permit from Parking & Transportation Services will be allowed to park in student spaces. This permit cannot be used as a method of payment for metered parking. Contact Parking & Transportation Services to make parking arrangements for a special event or meeting.


People operating press vehicles must obtain a permit from Parking & Transportation Services to travel on campus sidewalks or walkways and are subject to the same restrictions as any other vehicle in terms of hours of use and access routes.