J-1 Exchange Visitor Overview
The J-1 Exchange Visitor program was developed by the U.S. State Department "to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." The J-1 program includes a number of J-1 categories. UNLV is authorized by the U.S. Dept. of State to host the following categories:
- Research Scholar: The primary purpose of this category is to conduct research. A research scholar may also teach or lecture, though a research scholar may not work in a tenure track position. Duration of participation is 3 weeks to 5 years. (Please download and complete the following form: J-1 Scholar.)
- Professor: The primary purpose for this category is teaching or lecturing in a non-tenure track position. A Professor may also conduct research. Duration of participation is 3 weeks to 5 years. (Please download and complete the following form: J-1 Scholar.)
- Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills. Duration of participation is 1 day to 6 months. Short term scholar is the category that should typically be used for all of the above types if they will be in the U.S. less than six months and there is no possibility of extending their program. (Please download and complete the following form: J-1 Scholar.)
- Student Intern: For international students pursuing a degree outside of the U.S. who wish to participate in a formal internship in the U.S. Ask OISS for the J-1 Student Intern Dept. Request Form. Duration of participation is 3 weeks to 1 year. (Please download and complete the following form: J-1 Student Intern.)
- J-1 Students: For both degree seeking and non-degree students – though a number of restrictions apply. A J-1 student must be admitted by the Office of Admissions or the Graduate College first. The admission packet will then be sent to OISS, where the immigration documents will be processed for a J-1 student to apply for J-1 visa abroad or transfer in to UNLV as a J-1 student.
For non-degree Students, a J-1 student request form must be sent to OISS from the sponsoring department for each student that will be participating in the non-degree program. Duration of participation is 3 weeks to undefined except Student Non-Degree up to 2 years. (Please download and complete the following form: J-1 Non-Degree.)
OISS will determine which category is appropriate based upon the answers in the J-1 request form.