As we continue the semester and get comfortable moving between campus, local lunch spots, and businesses, remember to not get too comfortable with the roadway. Cross at designated crosswalks and activate the flashers when available. Don’t put yourself at risk — wait for your turn; the light will tell you when to go, not the traffic patterns. The stop lights and flashers alert drivers to your presence — signaling them to stop and you to be seen.
- Always cross at marked crosswalks. Don’t forfeit your pedestrian rights!
- Don’t cross in the middle of the street or between parked cars.
- Wait for the walk signal, make sure the cars come to a full stop.
- Make eye contact with the drivers and watch for traffic as your cross.
- Use sidewalks whenever possible; where not sidewalk is provided, it is usually safer to face road traffic.