New and old generations of Rebels will come together to celebrate as UNLV’s fall semester classes and 60th anniversary festivities kick off Aug. 28.
For both first-time and returning students, the university has planned a host of activities to generate school spirit, introduce myriad ways to get involved on campus, and to mark UNLV’s 60 years of contributions to Southern Nevada. Alumni, who recall various parts of UNLV’s journey from a single building in 1957 to a thriving research institution of roughly 30,000 in the heart of the nation’s most vibrant community, are invited to share their memories at anniversary events.
Media interested in attending the events are asked to coordinate with the UNLV Office of Media Relations.
Residence Hall Move-In
- When: Wednesday, Aug. 23 (freshmen), 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Dayton Community, Tonopah Community, South Complex, and Upper Class Complex
- Media: Enter at Tropicana Boulevard and Thomas & Mack Center
Rebel Welcome Day/UNLV Creates
- When: Friday, Aug. 25. Welcome Day, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.; UNLV Creates, 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Thomas & Mack Center/Cox Pavilion
- Media: Park in front of UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center, off of Tropicana Avenue
- UNLV Creates speakers:
- Finley Cotrone, Harrah College of Hotel Administration professor.
- Samuel Song, College of Education school psychology professor.
- Anita Tijerina Revilla, director of Gender and Sexuality Studies and Interdisciplinary Degree program.
- Michael Green, history professor.
Rebel Welcome Day kickstarts students’ college careers with live music, food, bookstore discounts and giveaways, an outdoor movie, a resource fair, campus tours and informational booths, and more designed to help them learn more about campus and its programs. The capstone activity is UNLV Creates, a TEDx-like event featuring motivational messages from UNLV students and staff. Freshmen at the mid-morning event also receive Rebel Cords and make a pledge to graduate.
UNLV Fall Semester Begins
- When: Monday, Aug. 28
Throughout the day, more than 200 UNLV staff and student volunteers will operate “ask me” booths to answer student questions. The booths will be located at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Pida Plaza, Ham Fine Arts Building, Student Services Complex, Tam Alumni Center, and Lied Library.
22nd Annual Premier UNLV
- When: Thursday, Aug. 31, from 5:30 to 10 p.m.
- Where: Intramural Field, corner of Swenson Street and Harmon Avenue
An annual tradition featuring fireworks and the formation of a giant illuminated “UNLV” created by hundreds of UNLV students and alumni with flashlights.
UNLV Rebel Football Home Opener vs. Howard University
- When: Saturday, Sept. 2, 6 p.m.
- Where: Sam Boyd Stadium
- Media: Coordinate with UNLV Athletics Media Relations at (702) 895-4472
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 6, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Student Union and Pida Plaza
Students learn about the more than 350 on-campus student organizations, as well as community groups around the Las Vegas area.
UNLV’s 60th Birthday Party
- When: Tuesday, Sept. 12, beginning at 2 p.m.
- Where: Pida Plaza
Students and staff celebrate UNLV’s diamond anniversary with a campus spirit rally with desserts, a photobooth, goodie bags, and fun.
President’s State of the University Speech
- When: Thursday, Sept. 14 at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Judy Bayley Theatre
- Media: Coordinate with UNLV Media Relations at (702) 895-3102
UNLV President Len Jessup gives his third annual update on the university. During this special 60th Anniversary address, President Jessup will look back at UNLV’s history, discuss its incredible transformation, and forecast its bright future.