Payal Sharma is an assistant professor and field researcher who studies power and control in organizations. Prior to joining UNLV's Lee Business School, Sharma was a visiting faculty member at the Wharton School and a standing faculty member at Rutgers Business School.
Sharma's current projects explore topics such as the stress of leadership, including why leaders resist empowering their employees. In addition, she is conducting qualitative work on power dynamics in the hip hop and rap music and professional boxing industries. Sharma is also the founder of an experiential stress management workshop for business school junior faculty held annually at the Academy of Management conference.
Her research has been published in Journal of Applied Psychology, Leadership Quarterly, and Group and Organization Management, among others.
- Ph.D., Organizational Behavior, University of Maryland, College Park
- M.A., Higher Education, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A., Organizational Management, The George Washington University
- B.A., History, University of California, San Diego
- B.A., Anthropology, University of California, San Diego