Seeking a Freelance Graphic Designer for Innovation, UNLV's Research Magazine
Innovation, the annual research magazine of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, creates an experience that opens readers’ eyes to all the problems our researchers are studying and solving. Through our storytelling, we help our audiences understand research not as something far from them in an exclusive world of academia, but close to them and what they care about in the real world. In doing so, we debunk myths about researchers and help readers see these explorers as the creative, problem-solving humans they are.
We are currently seeking a freelance graphic designer to build upon Innovation’s strong visual history and provide the type of inspiring art direction that will further elevate the publication.
- Art directing and designing the 2018 issue:
- Working with the UNLV team to review content, implement copy flow, choose photography, procure stock imagery, and collaborate on the commissioning of illustrations (if necessary).
- Producing all pages of the magazine (including house ads).
- Working with the UNLV team to finalize corrections and inputting them into the design files.
- Ensuring all design files are shared and accessible to the team at all stages of the project.
- Supplying final design files and proofs in Adobe InDesign and PDF formats to UNLV and the printer.
- Reviewing past issues of Innovation magazine and offering evaluations and recommendations re: processes, design, physical qualities, etc.
- Meeting (in person or via phone/Skype) on a weekly basis with UNLV representatives to gain a better understanding of the goals of the upcoming issue and execute on the concepts.
- Serving as a contact point (along with the editor-in-chief) for the printer if any design/printing questions arise; participating in press checks, if necessary.
Our ideal graphic designer:
- Has a strong portfolio demonstrating an extensive background in magazine design and layout conceptualization cover to cover.
- Is an expert in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, with experience in coordinating file deliveries with print houses.
- Has passion for their craft, is interested in bringing their ideas to the table, and wants to take ownership over the magazine’s design.
- Is an independently driven professional who explores creative concepts but still executes on deadline.
- Is an effective collaborator who constructively provides and graciously receives feedback.
- Is likely a full-time freelance designer (though designers with full-time employment who are able to treat our publication as if it were a top priority to them are welcome to apply).
- Is likely in the Las Vegas area (though remote freelancers available via phone or Skype fitting these criteria will be considered).
- Bonus: Has illustration and/or photography capabilities.
Compensation for this 4-month, annually renewable contract opportunity is commensurate with skills and experience, competitive within a higher education setting, and negotiable.
To be considered for this opening, please submit a link to your work samples, portfolio, and/or website along with a quick note describing your professional experience to our editor-in-chief at firstname.lastname@example.org.