Randy Garcia Named Lee Business School Alumnus of the Year
For more than 40 years, the UNLV Alumni Association has recognized exceptional individuals who represent the ideals of higher learning and Rebel Pride during the annual Alumnus of the Year Awards. Through the awards program, the association recognizes alumni, faculty, students, and community leaders for their outstanding achievements and leadership at the university as well as throughout our community. These recipients truly serve as inspiration for the generations of students who will follow and this year, Lee Business School proudly recognized Randy Garcia.
With numerous professional and personal accolades to his credit that have been earned over the course of a distinguished career and via public service and community involvement, Garcia truly embodies the Rebel way. Below are just a few highlights as to why he was named the Lee Business School Alumnus of the Year.
- Randy’s relationship with the school began in the ‘70s. He received his Bachelors of Science in Business Administration, graduating with honors in 1977 – and he’s been giving back to the university ever since. His commitment has included serving on the UNLV Foundation Board of Trustees, Lee Business School Finance Advisory Board, and the 2016 Presidential Debate Steering Committee to bring the final debate to Las Vegas and UNLV; sponsors and mentors the UNLV Financial Management Association student organization; is an engaged member of the UNLV Alumni Association; and sponsors numerous scholarships both within Lee Business School and within other academic disciplines.
- He recently pledged to provide a 4-year $100,000 scholarship to a medical school student in the UNLV School of Medicine’s inaugural year.
- In his professional life, Randy is an exemplary example of Lee Business School alum. He is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of The Investment Counsel Company, the first Nevada-based independent investment management consulting firm, where he manages more than $900 million in assets and services approximately 220 clients.
- Having raised the standard of service of investors within the State of Nevada, Randy was recognized by the Dow Jones Company’s financial publication Barron’s as the only investment advisor in Nevada ranked in the top 100 in the nation.
- He’s also been named numerous times by Medical Economics Magazine as one of the Top Financial Advisors for Doctors and was recognized by MONEY Magazine as one of the nation’s best investment consultants.
- Finally, not one to just excel at his job and put in time with his alma mater, Randy endeavors to also better the community-at-large. An active member of the Latin Chamber of Commerce, he underwrote the chamber’s Annual Career Day for more than a decade allowing local business leaders to connect with high school seniors to provide access and connection in an effort to help drive future career selection.
- Randy has also worked with inner-city youth and educators in inner-city schools to boost performance, purchased education equipment for southern Nevada schools in need
- He serves on the Council for a Better Nevada Board of Directors, the Las Vegas Area Council of the Boys Scouts of America’s Executive Committee, and he’s served on the Nevada State College Foundation Board of Trustees, on the Nevada System of Higher Education Chancellor’s Advisory Board - as you can see he is a true supporter of the community at all levels.
- In addition, he supports numerous charitable organizations such as Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada, Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada, Three Square Food Bank, Las Vegas Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, American Heart Association and the American Lung Associations, and the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation to name just a few.
Randy Garcia, congratulations and thank you for your service.