TIMELY WARNING CRIME ALERT
February 15, 2017
Between February 8, 2017 and February 14, 2017, University Police Services has received reports regarding attempted thefts from and completed thefts from thirteen vehicles located in parking lots at the south and southeast ends of the campus. Most of these incidents have occurred in Lot H, while others have occurred in Lots U, Black 5, and Residential Lot A.
In these crimes, a locked window is smashed and sometimes items left in plain view are stolen; in other instances, nothing was reported as stolen.
It appears that these crimes are taking place mostly after dark.
University Police Services suggests that you take the following precautions to help protect your vehicle and valuables:
- Do not leave items inside your vehicle that are in plain view from outside the vehicle. Take a moment to secure them in the trunk.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Consider installing an audible car alarm that activates when a window is broken.
- Take note of your surroundings when preparing to leave your vehicle-is there anyone suspicious in the area who may be watching for you to leave?
- If you hear something or see someone or something suspicious, please notify University Police Services immediately at 702-895-3669 or via one of the emergency telephones in the parking lots.
- Please pre-program the number for University Police in your cell phone: 702-895-3669. Remember: when you dial 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone you are calling the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and their officers will take longer to arrive to help you than University Police.