Police Services Notification - Timely Warning Crime Alert (January 25, 2018)
Timely Warning - January 25, 2018
In compliance with the "Timely Warning" provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998, University Police Services is providing the following notice and reminds students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant at all times.
At approximately 5:30 PM Thursday, January 25th, a female student was walking in Lot L past the Tennis Complex when she was approached by a male who grabbed and assaulted her. The female was able to fight him off using her backpack and fled the area, the suspect male fled in an unknown direction. The suspect is described as a thin white male with dark shaggy hair, wearing a green down type jacket.
UNLV Police are increasing patrols and its presence on campus as detectives continue their investigation. Anyone with information should contact UNLV Police at (702) 895-3668.
UNLV Police reminds students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant at all times and take the following actions to help ensure their own safety:
- Be aware of your surroundings and travel in pairs or groups whenever possible.
- Pre-program the number for university police in your cell phone for use in an emergency: (702) 895-3669 to expedite your call. Calls to 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone go to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, which are forwarded to the UNLV Police Services Emergency Communication & Dispatch Center.
- Download UNLV's RebelSAFE mobile safety app, which allows you to directly call the UNLV Police Department Emergency Communications Center on your smartphone. Download the app through iTunes, the Google Play Store, or on the department's RebelSAFE page.
- Request a campus security escort 24 hours a day by calling UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.
- Learn more about safety tips on our crime prevention tips webpage.