Police Services Notification – Timely Warning Crime Alert (April 3, 2018)
In compliance with the “Timely Warning” provisions of the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998, University Police Services is providing the following notice and reminds students, faculty, and staff to remain vigilant at all times.
This notice is a continuance of the timely warning issued on February 27, 2018, regarding thefts of golf carts on the UNLV campus. There has been an increase in the number of thefts of university-owned golf carts and unauthorized use of carts on campus this year. Within the last week, thefts of 2 golf carts, 6 cart batteries, and a cart battery charger have been reported.
UNLV Police Services recommends the following steps in regards to securing campus facilities and property:
• Whenever a golf cart is not in use, store the cart in a locked, secure area that can be accessed only by UNLV employees.
• If a secure area is not available, try to secure the cart utilizing other means, for example chaining the cart to a fixed object or chaining the steering wheel so it cannot turn.
• Do not leave cart keys in the ignition when not in use.
• Track when golf carts are being utilized by employees to deter erroneous reporting.
• Notify Police Services as soon as you discover a cart missing. Do not delay reporting in the hopes it will turn up.
Anyone with information related to these thefts should contact UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.