Join Our Team as a Communications Associate
Do you love storytelling? Do you enjoy getting the word out in a number of ways through a variety of platforms? Do you look forward to the challenge of translating even the most jargon-y of academic jargon into plain English that laypeople can understand and connect to?
If so, our division has the gig for you.
UNLV’s Division of Research and Economic Development is currently seeking a communications associate to help promote the university’s research and economic development activities. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to produce a variety of materials to help us achieve our communications, marketing, public relations, and media relations goals. You’ll perform a wide range of tasks from the most basic (e.g., entering content into management systems) to the most complex (e.g., conducting interviews and research to write research stories), so you should be comfortable with embracing both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.
- Generating and editing a variety of high-quality print and web content including feature stories, general announcements, e-newsletter content, blogs, press releases, emails, event fliers and invites, form letters, multimedia, social media, etc.
- Entering content into a number of systems and sharing content through a variety of platforms.
- Meeting regularly with the division’s director of communications to coordinate assignments.
- Completing assignments independently in a timely fashion while maintaining quality.
- Being interested in and willing to learn new things.
- Bringing your ideas and expertise to the table.
Our ideal communications associate:
- Has an educational background in English, journalism, marketing, communications, creative writing, or similar field and at least three years of professional experience doing some form of communications work, preferably in the private sector.
- Has impeccable writing and editing abilities that include both speed and accuracy.
- Possesses an understanding of the goals and impacts of communications work and the mindset to achieve them.
- Is an independently driven professional who explores creative concepts but still executes on deadline.
- Is an effective collaborator who constructively provides and graciously receives feedback.
- Preferably has some graphic design skills and is familiar with AP Style.
The person in this contract position will work 30 hours per week for a period of 11 months beginning June 1, 2018. Compensation is set at a non-negotiable rate of $33,750 for 11 months and includes health benefits.
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your résumé, a cover letter describing your professional experience, contact information for at least three references, and a minimum of three relevant writing or other work samples and a link to your portfolio/website (if you have one) to the director of communications at email@example.com. Applications received prior to April 30, 2018, will be given best consideration. You must be living within the Las Vegas/Henderson area at the time of application and employment.