The Rebel Recycling Center is offering internships for the spring and summer sessions! If you are interested in projects in sustainability, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some positions still available are listed below and more are available in the attached file.
STARS Report Intern (Starts this summer, apply by May 1, 2020)
- Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS) is a transparent, self-reporting framework for colleges and universities to measure their sustainability performance
- Help us complete filling out this annual report to submit to Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- UNLV currently has a silver rating and with a more complete report could jump to gold!
- This is an excellent way to implement and improve many of UNLV's policies on campus for every interest area in public health ranging from food and energy to, transportation and social development. An excellent way to make change on campus!
Recycling Center Compost Intern
- The Recycling Center has the largest composter in Las Vegas. Help operate the in-vessel composter with opportunities to run tests on which products are truly compostable instead of just advertised as such. Analyze the soil produced and determine what ratio of compostable have been most effective. You have the freedom to take the research in your own direction! Previous efforts from the chemistry department found high amounts of helpful bacteria in the soil to promote growth in the garden!
- Train various departments on campus (from hospitality to the student union) on how best to collect compostable items without contaminating them.
- Improve the current collection system to create a more efficient zero-waste campus.