Important Information in Response to COVID-19
Support and Care
We recognize that the recent events and disruptions due to the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19 is having negative impacts on the mental health of our community. As such Student Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) staff is working together to provide ongoing support and care. Given that many students are not physically on campus and the CDC recommendations regarding the importance of social distancing, the majority of CAPS services are being provided through telehealth (phone and video conferencing). We have further adjusted our services in the following ways, and recognize that these plans could evolve:
- If you have not been seen at CAPS before or have not been seen recently, we are offering phone consultation appointments to assess your needs and provide treatment recommendations that best suit your concerns. Call 702-895-3627 to schedule an initial consultation appointment.
- If you are in need of urgent clinical care, we will be available for same-day phone consultation Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. You may also walk in to CAPS for urgent concerns for a same-day consultation (please note: these appointments may still take place via telehealth). For life threatening emergencies, call 911 or go directly to a hospital emergency room. Additional after hours crisis resources can be found at the Crisis/Emergency Services page.
- If you would like to connect with local mental health clinicians in your area for services, you can access referrals through your insurance online search, calling a local nearby university counseling center for suggestions, or using these online resources (Psychology Today or Psychologist Locator). If you need additional help, CAPS staff, including the Care Manager, is available for phone consultation to assist you in finding a provider in your area.
Please help us better communicate with you and be aware of the following:
- Please note that a call from UNLV CAPS might show up on your phone as an unidentified phone number. If you miss the call, you can call back at 702-895-3627.
- Please set up your voicemail box and make sure your mailbox is not full so that we can leave you a message if needed. If we need to send you an electronic message, we will use secure messaging through our WellnessView Portal.
Resouces/Ways to Take Care of Yourself
We know there is concern and anxiety around the continuing changes related to the COVID-19 pandemic, both on our campus and in the community. The health and well-being of our students is our number one priority. CAPS is committed to providing support for students through this ever-changing situation. For information on mental health and coping with COVID-19, please visit the CDC site and consider utilizing these other psychoeducation and coping resources:
- Things To Do
- Therapy Assistance Online (TAO)
- Managing Mental Health During COVID PresentationStrategies for coping with COVID-19 related anxiety
- CDC Recommendations