Off-campus incident - UNLV Police Services Advisory (October 30, 2018)
At 2:50 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 30, a student was a block off-campus, walking east on Living Desert Dr., when an African-American man exited the rear driver's side of a black, four-door sedan and approached the student. The man stole the student's purse, including a wallet and cell phone, then fled in the waiting vehicle.
As this incident happened off-campus, Las Vegas Metro Police is leading the investigation and UNLV Police Services is assisting.
Campus safety reminders:
- Remain vigilant both on and off campus at all times and report suspicious activity to the police. Remember, if you "see something, say something".
- Travel in pairs or groups whenever possible, and hold your purse, briefcase, and other belongings close to your body.
- When on campus, you can request a campus security escort 24 hours a day by calling UNLV Police Services at (702) 895-3668.
- Save (702) 895-3669 in your phone to contact UNLV Police Services for assistance on campus. Calls to 9-1-1 from a non-campus phone go to the Las Vegas Metro Police, which are forwarded to UNLV Police.
- Download UNLV's RebelSAFE app through iTunes or the Google Play Store. The app will allow you to directly call UNLV Police without going through Las Vegas Metro Dispatch.
- Learn more about safety tips on our crime prevention tips webpage.
Anyone with information related to this or similar incidents off-campus should contact the Las Vegas Metro Police by dialing 3-1-1. If you have information related to similar incidents on-campus contact the UNLV Police non-emergency line at (702) 895-3668.