Call for Applications: Vice Provost, Division of Educational Outreach
UNLV Internal Search
The Vice Provost reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost and serves as a member of the senior executive leadership team. The Vice Provost provides dynamic leadership, vision, and management to the Division of Educational Outreach (DEO) that is primarily self-funded and is revenue generating for the university. Consequently, this position requires excellence in business and fiscal management. The breadth and depth of the Division of Educational Outreach activities and organizational structure can be reviewed at http://edoutreach.unlv.edu/
The Vice Provost is charged with maximizing the impact of UNLV’s educational, research, and training resources by engaging communities regionally, nationally, and internationally. Drawing on the expertise of UNLV’s outstanding faculty along with experienced community members and industry experts, the division offers high quality, relevant, and innovative educational programs through a variety of creative avenues utilizing courses for academic credit and non-credit, customized training, professional development certificates, conferences, and workshops.
The Vice Provost is responsible for developing and implementing, through active leadership, a strategy of educational engagement and outreach that are consistent with the needs of our changing community, enhances the educational capacity of our diverse citizenry, supports regional economic development, and strengthens the University’s international presence. Internally, this individual will be responsible for leading a dynamic organization that actively participates in effective partnerships with all 17 colleges and schools, the emerging UNLV School of Medicine, and numerous centers, institutes and other campus and college outreach units. Externally, this individual will actively foster rewarding long-term relations with faculty and students together with Las Vegas community constituents to create educational opportunities that engage individuals, businesses, industries, nongovernmental organizations, and governmental agencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic vision and direction for the Division, including identifying new and dynamic ways to engage the community and build international opportunities.
- Engage with campus academic units to develop value-added degree elements to better prepare students for the workforce and build needed credit and non-credit educational programs for UNLV students and the community.
- Provide excellent business and fiscal management to assure DEO stays in compliance with federal, state, Nevada System of Higher Education, and university requirements.
- Develop UNLV Continuing Education Online to maximize the impact of UNLV regionally and around the world.
- Lead fundraising efforts, cultivating new relationships and securing external support for Educational Outreach initiatives and acquire competitive external funding.
- Assure the division meets the assessment standards of the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Be actively engaged in appropriate national organizations building university recognition and garnering awareness of national and international trends in educational outreach.
- Foster diversity at UNLV, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- A PhD or terminal degree in an academic discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Understanding and appreciation of the complex roles and responsibilities of public urban higher education institutions.
- Outstanding abilities in establishing effective communications and relationships with a broad and diverse constituency including faculty, staff, students, community members, public leaders, government, and various professional and business groups.
- Demonstrated executive level management experience (i.e. budgeting, financial planning, human resources management and development, policy development) sufficient to provide effective leadership for all public service and outreach units and activities.
- Experience in leading or managing educational outreach in a higher education institution.
- Working knowledge of international educational outreach programming.
- Administrative experiences in higher education.
- Understanding of how information technology may be employed to increase the effectiveness of educational outreach.
Application materials should be addressed to the “Search Committee VPDEO” and e-mailed to Kristene Fisher ([email protected]) by June 13, 2014. Direct any questions to Vice Provost Carl L. Reiber ([email protected]).
The application will consist of a (1) letter of interest fully describing qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the required and preferred qualifications because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based; (2) a detailed C.V. listing qualifications and experience; and (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references who may be contacted. Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates' materials will begin on June 13, 2014.