Advising Tips: How to Be Successful in Online Courses
Managing online courses can be challenging. With the sudden shift to remote learning, some students are struggling to modify study habits in order to be successful in their courses. Here are a few tips on how you can modify your study habits in order to be successful in your online courses:
- Make a study plan. Write down in a planner when assignments are due. Break down tasks, and set blocks of time aside to study and complete those tasks. Remember that life gets in the way sometimes, and you can always change your plan to fit what is going on around you.
- Create a work space. Pick a quiet area, away from outside distractions, where you are most productive. Adding decorations can help motivate you to study and will make being in this space more enjoyable.
- Utilize resources. Many of the resources UNLV offers in person have moved to online help. Visit the UNLV Academic Success Center’s website for online tutoring and coaching. If you need additional help, reach out to your professor or an academic advisor. Asking for help can be difficult, don’t be afraid to ask. UNLV’s faculty and staff are here to help you succeed!
- Actively participate and respond to your peers. Read what others are saying in discussion. By actively participating it will help to keep you engaged, motivated, and interested in your courses.
- Take regular study breaks and don’t forget to reward yourself. If you complete an assignment or task, do something that you love! If you are feeling overwhelmed, take a few minutes to breathe and reset.
It is important to remember that everybody is different and what works for some, may not work for all. Be kind to yourself. Be patient with yourself. Try a variety of strategies to see what techniques work best for you. Want to learn more tips based on your unique situation? Please contact the College of Sciences Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor.