DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

The Trump administration rescinded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) on Oct. 5, 2017. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is no longer accepting new DACA applications. However, on January 9, 2018, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California halted DACA’s termination and granted a temporary order requiring USCIS to continue accepting renewal applications.

U. S. citizenship is not required for admission at UNLV, and our doors remain open to all students who seek education and the opportunities it provides.

Below are resources based on the most current information available. Visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website for the latest announcements on DACA.

What does undocumented status and DACA mean?

Undocumented refers to individuals who are not United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States, who do not hold a current visa to reside in the United States, and who have not been approved for legal residency in the U.S. Some undocumented individuals had an opportunity to participate in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Federal Program to avoid deportation and receive work authorization in the United States.

It is also important to note that while all DACA participants are undocumented, not all undocumented individuals are DACA participants. Selection is contingent upon meeting criteria and the completion and federal government review of an individual's DACA application.

For Current and Future Students

What can current or future DACA or undocumented students do now?

U.S. citizenship is not a prerequisite for admission to UNLV, therefore any individual can apply to be a student and, if accepted, enroll for classes.

DACA recipients can still apply for a renewal. Those who have a DACA expiration date on or after Sept. 5, 2016 or were unable to renew their application before Sept. 5, 2017, or had their renewal application rejected due to clerical errors may send in a renewal application. More information is available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

As a DACA student, will my tuition or financial aid be impacted if the program ends?

Undocumented and DACA students who have graduated from a Nevada high school are eligible for in-state tuition. Undocumented and DACA students are not eligible for federal financial aid, but may apply for university-based and alternate financial aid at UNLV. For information on financial aid, call 702-895-3424 or visit unlv.edu/finaid/daca.

As a DACA student, can I travel outside of the U.S. and/or participate in study abroad?

As of Sept. 5, 2017, the Trump administration announced it will no longer grant Advanced Parole Travel Documents that allow DACA recipients to travel internationally and return to the U.S. The federal court order on January 9, 2018 did not require USCIS to grant advanced parole requests. If you are participating in study abroad and are a DACA recipient, immediately contact the UNLV Office of International Programs at 702-895-3896 or international.programs@unlv.edu. DACA recipients should be cautious about travel abroad on advance parole.

What information can the University disclose about student records, including class schedules?

A student’s education record is protected under the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Any record that directly relates to a student and is maintained by the institution or a party acting on behalf of the institution is considered an education record. UNLV complies with federal and state law with respect to disclosure of a student’s education record to outside parties.

UNLV maintains "directory" information for students, including name, class level, major, email, address, and telephone numbers. Individuals and external organizations may request this information, but the university carefully reviews and considers each request, and not all requests are fulfilled. FERPA does not prohibit disclosure of directory information. Learn more about UNLV's definition of directory information.

Because U.S. citizenship is not a requirement of admission, UNLV does not track undocumented or DACA status of its students.

Can a student opt out of having their directory information disclosed?

Yes, however the student also will no longer receive official and other important correspondence from UNLV. If a student does not want UNLV to disclose any or all of their directory information without prior written consent, the student must request this through their MyUNLV account. Learn more about FERPA.

Where can I find the latest information about the status of DACA?

More information can be found at the Immigration Legal Resource Center website and the National Immigration Law Center website.

Student Contact

Mariana Sarmiento Hernández
Email: mariana.sarmiento@unlv.edu
Phone: 702-895-5658

For Employees

As an individual with DACA status and a UNLV employee, can I continue to work at UNLV if DACA ends?

Currently, DACA recipients may legally work until their Employment Authorization Document expires. Learn about employment rights through the Immigrant Legal Resource Center.

What is an employer permitted to ask and what is a DACA recipient required to disclose?

Information for employers and employees is available through the Immigrant Legal Resource Center’s “What Do I Need To Know About the End of DACA?”

What is the university’s position on DACA?

Former UNLV President Len Jessup released a statement on Sept. 5, 2017, reaffirming the university’s commitment to all students and to providing a safe, supportive environment conducive to their success. The president joined more than 600 higher education institutions across the nation to advocate for the continuation of the DACA program at the end of 2016, and UNLV continues to champion the importance of education and success for all of its students. The UNLV Faculty Senate has approved a Sense of the Senate supporting DACA and it's continuation.

Current acting UNLV president, Marta Meana stands by the statement released by former president Len Jessup.

As a UNLV faculty or staff member, what should I do if law enforcement officers are in my office or classroom?

Please contact the UNLV Office of General Counsel during business hours at 702-895-5185 for immediate assistance in any situation in which a law enforcement officer requests personal or personally identifiable information or records relating to a student. If not during normal business hours, contact University Police Services at 702-895-3668.

You may ask the law enforcement officer for their name, identification number, and agency affiliation, and also for a copy of any warrant or subpoena presented. Inform the officer that you are not obstructing their process, but following standard university practice and must contact the appropriate UNLV office for assistance.

Historically, external law enforcement agencies have notified University Police Services in advance of arriving on campus to execute a warrant or subpoena.

Employee Contact

Barbee Oakes, Ph.D.
Chief Diversity Officer
Phone: 702-895-4593

Campus Resources

UNLV Immigration Clinic

Offering free assistance with completing DACA renewal applications.

Financial Aid

Supports higher education access and persistence by providing financial aid to eligible students

  • 702-895-3424
  • Located in the Student Services Complex, Building A, Room 232


Assists future students with applying to UNLV

International or Study Abroad

Serves the UNLV community by providing resources and services which encourage international study

Counseling and Psychological Services

Confidential counseling support


Academic multicultural resource center for students – particularly first-generation and students of color – as well as faculty, staff, and the community

External Resources

Immigrant Legal Resource Center

National nonprofit center providing immigration legal trainings, technical assistance, educational materials

Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada

Nonprofit law firm providing direct legal representation, counsel and advice and community legal education to individuals who cannot afford an attorney

Immigration Law Help

Offers legal assistance for low-income immigrants in all 50 states

Department of Homeland Security

What Can I Do To Help?

Support the work of the UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law Immigration Clinic through charitable contributions. Learn more about their work and how to make a donation online.