Dear Colleagues, Collaborators, and Community Members,
UNLV International Gaming Institute joins the international outcry for social justice, equality under the law, and an end to systemic racism. In our classrooms and in our everyday lives, we vow to listen--to genuinely listen--and to get better as a result. But while listening is an important first step, we also vow to take action by working in a manner that sees, hears, and supports the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and we ask that we be held accountable to this commitment.
One week, one month, one year from now: we will be better. Here are some of the ways:
- We will launch a new IGI program that creates pathways and support for minority-owned business enterprises (MBEs), vendors, and startups to benefit from opportunities in the gaming industry.
- We will diversify pipelines by adding scholarships for BIPOC attendees at our Executive Development Program, and by launching new diversity recruitment programs in our STEAM-related innovation courses at the Center for Gaming Innovation, Hospitality Lab, and Battle Born Girls Innovate.
- We will increase our BIPOC faculty and leadership numbers, and we will amplify BIPOC voices in front of industry and government audiences across all of the IGI's teaching and research programs.
- Alongside curricular experts in this field, we will reevaluate all of our syllabi and educational practices to emphasize strong messages of anti-racism, pro-inclusion, intersectionality, and social justice.
- Finally, we will actively seek to partner with others who share in these commitments.
Thank you in advance for holding us accountable in the fight for social justice.
UNLV International Gaming Institute