Transfer to Another State Agency

As you prepare to transfer to another State Agency, there are a number of items that you need to address to ensure a smooth transition out of UNLV. Below are tips on how to achieve this:

  1. Talk to your supervisor about your intent to transfer to another State Agency.
    Once you have decided on your last day of employment at UNLV, send an email to to notify HR that you are planning on transferring. Please note that this notification does not take the place of an official resignation letter. However, the earlier HR is notified that you are leaving, the sooner we can take the appropriate action to ensure that you separation proceeds as smoothly as possible. The email needs to include the following information:
    • Name of separating employee
    • Department and contact number
    • The employee’s last day at work
    • The name of the State Agency you are transferring to
  2. Submit a formal letter of resignation to your supervisor. 
    If you are a classified employee, you must complete the Resignation from State Service form. The letter of resignation or the resignation form needs to be acknowledged or accepted by the employee’s supervisor and/or department. A copy of both the resignation letter/form and acceptance must be forwarded to HR as soon as possible and before you leave UNLV.
  3. Rules regarding the transfer of leave will vary depending on whether you are professional/faculty or classified employee
    • Faculty/Professional employees. If you transfer to another state agency without a break in service, your accrued leave must be recomputed to reflect the amount that you would have accrued if you were a classified employee, less any leave you have taken. The remaining balance will then be transferred to your new employer
    • Classified employee. If you transfer to another state agency without a break in service, your accrued leave transfers to that state agency.
  4. Schedule your final clearance meeting with Human Resources.
  5. Settle any outstanding debt owed to the university, including library fines, computer loans, or parking tickets.
  6. Return any university property, including parking permits, office keys, marlock cards, or university credit cards.
  7. Update your address to ensure your W-2 is mailed to the correct address at the end of the year. 
    You can update your address through the employee self-service system, EQUUS.