Transfer to Another NSHE Institution

As you prepare to transfer to another NSHE Institution, there are a number of items that you need to address to ensure a smooth transition out of UNLV. Below are tips on how to achieve this:

  1. Discuss leave balances.
    As you negotiate the terms of your new employment with the institution you are transferring to, include a discussion regarding the transfer of your accumulated leave balances.
  2. Talk to your supervisor about your intent to transfer to another NSHE Institution.
    Once you have decided on your last day of employment at UNLV, send an email to [email protected] to notify HR that you are planning on transferring. Please note that this notification does not take the place of an official resignation letter. However, the earlier HR is notified that you are leaving, the sooner we can take the appropriate action to ensure that you separation proceeds as smoothly as possible. The email needs to include the following information:
    • Name of separating employee
    • Department and contact number
    • The employee’s last day at work
    • The name of the NSHE institution you are transferring to
    • Indicate if you are transferring your leave to the other NSHE Institution
  3. Submit a formal letter of resignation to your supervisor. 
    If you are a classified employee, you must complete the Resignation from State Service form. The letter of resignation or the resignation form needs to be acknowledged or accepted by the employee’s supervisor and/or department. A copy of both the resignation letter/form and acceptance must be forwarded to HR as soon as possible and before you leave UNLV.
  4. Discuss your leave.
    If you are not transferring your leave, we recommend that you meet with your department leavekeeper to ensure that all leave taken and any leave you plan to take between now and your separation date has been posted to your leave balance. To expedite the payment of your annual leave, you and your supervisor will need to sign your final leave card agreeing to the balances posted.
  5. Schedule your final clearance meeting with Human Resources.
  6. Settle any outstanding debt owed to the university, including library fines, computer loans, or parking tickets.
  7. Return any university property, including parking permits, office keys, marlock cards, or university credit cards.
  8. Update your address to ensure your W-2 is mailed to the correct address at the end of the year. 
    You can update your address through the employee self-service system, EQUUS.